2012 IL Gun Kill

The Brag-Board - Please post photos of your trophies here.

Moderators: WI-DOE-MAKER, GregE

2012 IL Gun Kill

Postby XJCraver on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Shot this guy last night, at 30 yds. with my slug gun. Legal light was 5:06, and he walked out at 5:03!! Talk about cutting it close...

Scores in the mid-130's, and I figure he was 3 1/2. The left side is super cool, with all those tines coming out at the same place. A buddy of mine shot a buck back in Oct. that was eerily close to the same as this one; within a couple inches score-wise, nearly identical body weight, and that same goofy left side. Guess we'll be seeing some more of these guys in the future!!

Anyway, thought y'all would like to see him. I know it's not a bow kill, but it sure made my day yesterday to take him - my first buck in 3 years!
XJCraver

Re: 2012 IL Gun Kill

Postby InDaWoods on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 am

Good buck for sure...thanks for sharing.
InDaWoods

Postby critrgitr jr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm

congrats X!!! nice buck!!!
"It's hard to soar with eagles when your working with turkeys"
critrgitr jr

Postby Keef on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Congratulations nice buck.
Keef

Postby XJCraver on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks all !!! Now if I can just get one down with my dang bow.....
XJCraver

Postby ventilator on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 am

Just keep at it Joe! It seems like you have some great property. I know late season can be awesome in illinois. A friend of mine shot a giant 8 in southern IL last year the last week of season. Ill be hoping that you have some cold snowy weather to bring them in to your food sources. :)
Kenny Hollingsworth
Reel Shot Tv
http://www.reelshotoutdoors.com
STROTHER MOXIE My bow shoots its self, I just go along to keep it from winning!
ventilator

Postby XJCraver on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 pm

ventilator wrote:Just keep at it Joe! It seems like you have some great property. I know late season can be awesome in illinois. A friend of mine shot a giant 8 in southern IL last year the last week of season. Ill be hoping that you have some cold snowy weather to bring them in to your food sources. :)

We do (thankfully, and in my humble opinion...) have some great property. There's only 2 of us that hunt it, and the majority of the neighboring landowners are working "with" us as far as managing a wild herd can go. Just wish I could get the rest of them to shoot as many does as I do!!

I'm looking forward to late season, just like I do every year. I almost always see more big bucks starting the 2nd weekend in Dec. or so through the end of the season in Jan. Once the Orange Army gets done and out of the way, and the bucks are done chasing the girls, it seems like they settle down and get a lot more predictable. All I have to do is be in the right place at the right time to connect with one!!

Oh BTW: Got this one "officially" measured today... 136 5/8" gross.
XJCraver

Postby Swamp Fox on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Hey, Joe! Nice buck! Congrats.

Did my buddy get up with you about your trailing dog project? I have to call him sometime soon about something else and can give him a kick in the butt if it got past him.
Swamp Fox

Postby XJCraver on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Swamp Fox wrote:Hey, Joe! Nice buck! Congrats.

Did my buddy get up with you about your trailing dog project? I have to call him sometime soon about something else and can give him a kick in the butt if it got past him.

Thanks.

No, he didn't get back with me. Not a big deal though, as I don't think the whole thing is gonna' work out. I have been working with the dog, but I don't believe she is going to work out as a tracker - Too much nose and not enough brain... I'll have one that will follow a blood trail someday, just don't think it's gonna' be this one!
XJCraver

Postby BowHunting on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:29 am

Wow, cool, really nice buck :x
BowHunting

Next

Return to Trophy Room