2008 Spring Gobbler

The Brag-Board - Please post photos of your trophies here.

Moderators: WI-DOE-MAKER, GregE

2008 Spring Gobbler

Postby InDaWoods on Tue May 06, 2008 10:36 am

Last week Wed-Sunday was my season for 2008 spring turkey. Day 1 - Wednesday, the birds were up and active. I saw a ton of hens, heard a bunch of gobblers, but didn’t want to mess the area up, since this is the first year that my dad had purchased a tag and was coming up to hunt, not just to sit and watch me. So basically, what I’m saying, is if I couldn’t call one into me, I wasn’t going to head out looking for one of the ones I could hear calling. I had Gobbling all the way up till 11:45am when I left the woods for lunch. I headed back out to a different woods…saw one gobbler running across the road as I pulled into the parking lot. The rest of the day I saw only hens. All in all though it was a great day to be in the woods. Day 2 – I sat in the second woods as I left my blind up all night. I never saw a bird, and only heard 2 gobbles all morning. Decided, this was a bad spot. That afternoon, I left the blind at the cabin and went out to do a set up close to where the birds were roosted the day before to see if I could get a gobbler coming in to go to bed since we can hunt till about dark now! It was a good move, but I wasn’t set up close enough. 13 birds came in to roost that night, 11 hens, one gobbler and a jake that were fun to watch. That gobbler sure chased him around!!! Day 3 – WOW I slept in!!!!! 4:50 the alarm goes off and I’m like OHHHHH CRAP. I can shoot in 15 minutes!!!! I tossed on clothes, left the blind and sped to my spot… I got in thanks to the cloud cover… and just sat against a pine. It was right where I roosted the birds the night before. They all flew down. I got some of the hens to come right into my decoy…then slowly walk off… I have no clue where the gobbler went as I never saw him come down out of the tree. There was action again early that morning all around, but it was far off. I decided at just before 7, I’d put on a stalk. I moved about 600-700 yards closer to the nearest gobble, and set up. Sure enough, that move paid off!!!! I had 4 gobblers come in, raised my gun and KAPOWWWWWWWW, at 7:28a.m. had this bad boy down on the ground. (see pics) He was about 20 pounds, had 7/8 inch spurs, and a 10 inch beard. He’s my second bird ever…and I am quite happy!

My dad made it up that afternoon, and we got absolutely SOAKED on our way to our blind that afternoon. We sat the next morning in the rain and heard only 1 gobble…that afternoon saw 3 hens over 230 yards off on private property. All in all Saturday was a washout day. Sunday, the sun was up early and the action was good. We could hear 7 different gobblers sounding off. Again the hens all flew down and walked around us. We couldn’t get any gobblers to come in, so again we went on the stalk. We ended up seeing the one bird gobble and strut, but when we moved around to get in front of where he was headed….we never saw him again.

And here is one of the pictures that I took that I just couldn't help but add.

InDaWoods

Re: 2008 Spring Gobbler

Postby GregE on Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Nice 8-)
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:06 am

Woods, nice bird and nice photos!!!
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby bakerb on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:10 pm

That's a nice bird, and some great pics! Love that sunset picture!!
bakerb

Online Services

Postby BillyJhon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Auto Cad training institute in Delhi
Catia training institute in Delhi
Solid Work training institute in Delhi
UG-NX training institute in Delhi
CREO training institute in Delhi
GIS Training Institutle in Delhi
Auto CAD Training Institutle in Uttam Nagar
Buy software GstarCAD in Cost effective

"Hunger Night" Carving for the authentic food edible , ‘HUNGER NIGHT’ is one of the best food ordering and delivering company situated in Noida, Ghaziabad, New Delhi, India, that will often strike in your mind for ordering the best food delicacy. ‘HUNGER NIGHT’ company main agenda is to provide there customers to there best service of placing and delivering food staff. Through using of ‘HUNGER NIGHT’ website you can easily choose any meal product as per you like and place the order. The major highlighting fact of this company is, it has it own personnel to pickup orders from the restaurants and aim is to comfortably delivers to the clients. These things can make it more reliable and flexible to get maximum numbers of orders from any restaurants and accept online payment for all partner restaurants that they share their work. They pretty much concern about their customers and believe that to place the order before the time so that the customers get satisfy while getting their food items before the time period. This company will ensure that they should distribute best food items from their sharing partners too. It serves multiple cuisine at different locale. It is the nation’s leading takeout and delivery company. ‘HUNGER NIGHT’ helps you to find and order food from whenever you are. We believe that dining should be smoother and comfortable with prominent service, we bring out best online ordering and delivering."

Hunger Night
Follow on facebook
Follow on Twitter
BillyJhon

Return to Trophy Room