DRYFIRE!!!

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

DRYFIRE!!!

Postby bakerb on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 am

CRAP!!

Usually, if I draw my bow, it has an arrow in it. Even if I practice drawing and holding in the house, I use a release and put an arrow on teh string, and just aim at a blank wall

Well last night. I was getting ready for bed. The wife and the kid were asleep, the house alarm was set, and I decided I wanted to draw my bow. My arrows were in the garage where I couldn't go without turning off the alarm, which is noisy (it beeps loudly).

I decided to draw the bow with fingers (3), and got it about halfway back and it slipped out of my fingers!

WHAP!!!! I heard something tinkle as it came off, and close inspection revealed that a little metal piece that holds the cable on came off. I found the piece. Looked over the bow and can't find anything else wrong. Shook it. No noise or rattle. No visible cracks on limbs. It's a 2006 Hoyt Trykon. I've got string leeches on it. Stabilizer, etc.

Tonight I'm taking it to my neighbor to have him look it over, and if he passes it, I guess I'll put on a heavy jacket and some safety glasses and shoot it a few times. Hope it's okay

Can't afford a new bow. And it's too close to the season to worry about it

CRAP!!! I hate being stupid!

Bake
bakerb

Re: DRYFIRE!!!

Postby bakerb on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 am

Course, I guess this could be my reason to by an Alphamax 32, or maybe even a. . . GASP! . . . bowtech

Bake
bakerb

Postby Coodster on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:03 am

Bake could you possibly take it to a pro shop? I would highly recomend it.
We had an alpine silverado cable break and went kaBOOM, proshop sent it back and got all new bow except riser. a week later the draw mods came loose, didn't catch it in time and the mods where warped. but if you can't you cant.
if things get worse and season is in jeprody, I have my hoyt X7 as a spare bow you can shoot. just shoot me a pm if/when needed.

Chad
Coodster

Postby GregE on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:33 am

Good advice Coods!! Also pay attention to the cables and string loops. You can't tell if stands are broken under the serving.

Dry Fire- I've heard of that happening.......... :roll:

Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby bakerb on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 pm

My neighbor is a big 3D guy, and basically runs a proshop for Bowtech out of his garage. He is someone I really trust to work on my bow. I'll start with him, and if he says to take it back to where I bought it I will. However, I'm not very trusting of the bowshop where I bought it. Besides my neighbor, I don't know of anyone around who I trust

Good news. . . I told my wife just a little while ago, and she said "If it's broke, you need a new one. We'll make it work somehow. You've gotta have one." And the reality is, I can afford one, but it would be a pinch.

It's nice to have a wife who understands just how big of a deal this bowhunting is to me.

Hopefully I'll know more in a few days

And thanks for the offer Coods, if I decide I need to take you up on your generous offer, I'll let you know. Thanks again

Bake
bakerb

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 pm

"inspection revealed that a little metal piece that holds the cable on came off".

That statement makes me nervous!! Was it broken off the cam?? Or where?? Use EXTREME caution!! If something broke off, something is then weakened!!!! Get it checked out properly!!!!!! :o Wi-Doe
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby bakerb on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Update. . .

My neighbor's wife just happens to work at my law firm (she's also a big 3D shooter), and she talked to her husband over lunch. I'm going to drop the bow off with him tonight. He's gonna look it over and fix anything that needs fixing. If he thinks it's alright I'm gonna ask him to check the cam timing, retie a new string loop, and basically just give it a good working over.

I've got a one year old Cracker custom string on it, so I shouldn't need a new string.

Bad thing is. . . this put it into my head that I might need a new bow. So now I have a case of the WANTS. Not good. Now I want an Alphamax 32 with 80 lb limbs (I shoot 71 lbs. now, easily). I wanna shoot a heavy arrow and maybe even a 150 grain Rothhaar Snuffer broadhead. Can you imagine a 700 grain arrow at 300+ fps. . . devastating. I think you could break bone with that setup

Dreaming and wanting can sometimes be very bad things :D

Bake
bakerb

Postby seamus on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Let me reply pretending I'm Newarcher.........."It's a Hoyt!! Dryfire it a few more times, and then go hunt, it can take it"
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Postby Jason on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I know what you mean...I hate it when I get the WANTS! Hopefully for your bank accounts sake, everything will check out fine on your bow.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby madrat on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 am

Bake, Bake, Bake, sorry to hear of the news but this is all a blessing so you can get a new MATHEWS, not a bowtech!!! When are you gonna learn?? :D

Sorry to hear about the mishap, be careful and hopefully it all works out. I know what you mean about having the wants, especially when there is that slight question about what your currently shooting (not because it's a Hoyt, but because of the dry fire. I'm trying to be nice here) ;)
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Next

Return to Bowhunting