Archery Brown Bear Hunt! WITH PICTURE

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Re: Archery Brown Bear Hunt!

Postby Newarcher on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

WMBFAMDFA wrote:New, pay attention he ALREADY " got one" he needs to find his bear hide.

Awesome, I didn't read all the posts...just the OP's.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby seamus on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:13 pm

I take it the airline lost his hide.......how in the hell do you lose a bear hide??? I'm sure you can't just roll one up and put it in a suitcase so it's got to be something that's going to stick out to the baggage handler. Or maybe it did and one of them stole it?
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Postby Hoytman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 am

Here is a short insight to the hunt from my friend Joby...
The short story is that he placed a perfect shot on this quartering away brownie at 40yards. He shot at dusk so he and the guide tracked it 50 yards the next morning to find that the bear had been ate and burried by another bear in the area over night. :? The innards were ate and its underbelly was tore open. They had to flesh the bear quickly on the kill sight in hopes the bear that claimed it would not come while they were fleshing. Hopefully I'll get more pics to post but all he sent is what Im posting. The bear measured 9'2" estimated around 900lbs and had a 25-1/2" skull.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends and Family,

I am happy to report that I am home from Alaska safe and sound, and two weeks earlier than expected!!! Yup, that can only mean one thing, I was successful!!

Completing my goal was met in just arriving safely in Alaska, and getting to spend time in that magnificent landscape and getting close to those beautiful bears. The adventure and experience in that alone would of been enough to satisfy me. However, I was rewarded with unusually good weather on the first day of the hunt, and again rewarded with an opportunity that evening... which I made good on. I scored on a 9' 2" Alaskan Brown Bear with my archery tackle.

The trip included many additional days with weather that ranged in temps, rain, fog, snow, and wind... boy did we have wind. I saw gusts up to 85 mph one day, and it averaged 45 mph the rest of the time. In fact, after being successful the first day, I had a total of 6 days that trip that I was grounded due to weather, unable to fly anywhere. A couple of extra delay days due to the airlines (what else is new), and in the end I was gone two weeks.

I got to enjoy everything I wanted, just wish I could of stayed longer... but reality was calling me home. Everything was amazing, from the bears to the landscape, from the Piper Cub planes that could take off and land in 50-yards, to the wildlife that terrorized our camp. The stories will take a while to share, as there are many. I'll be creating a blog and posting all the details as soon as I can get around to it, so if you're interested in a LONG read, I'll forward it once I'm done.

Thanks to all of you for supporting me in my quest to make a dream of mine come true. It meant so much more since I was able to share it with you, and that everyone took such an interest in it.

See you all soon!

2002 Hoyt CyberTec
2010 Mathews Z7
Hoytman

Re: Archery Brown Bear Hunt! WITH PICTURE

Postby Newarcher on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:08 am

Congrats, that was a VERY VERY nice bear.

I don't know that I want to be that close to a bear with just a bow!

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby WMBFAMDFA on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

That is a monster bear. Having come back from Alberta just this spring and being around black bears with 20 inch skulls makes it hard to believe how tremendous this bear is without the photo. It's head has to be as wide as a mans chest, a true giant. and to be taken with archery equipment, the feat of a life time. Congrats to Joby, well done........dfa
I became a hunter the day I put down the gun and picked up the bow.
WMBFAMDFA

Postby Jason on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 am

Congrats to Joby...that is truly a magnificent bear!
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:54 pm

My question is...did he eat the bears nuts??? :o :roll: :roll: Seriously though CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's great that he realized his DREAM HUNT!!! Great ending to years of saving and dreaming.
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby Keef on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Congrats to your buddy. Brown bear hunting with a bow is a hoot for sure.
Keef

Postby brianerixon on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 pm

What an exciting hunt that would be :D nice bear
Brian E.

PSE Stinger
Vapour Trail String
Whisker Biscuit
Cobra Sight
Beman ICS Hunter w Blazers
Truball Release
brianerixon