good binoculars reasonably priced??

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

good binoculars reasonably priced??

Postby madrat on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:25 pm

My Father-in-law wants a pair of binoculars so we're thinking about buying him some for Christmas, He doesn't hunt, but wants to use them on the farm to look for deer, turkey, etc. Is there a good set of binoculars for a reasonable price? By reasonable I mean $100-$150. I looked at some at Cabelas, but they all look good in the store. I probably want to buy 10 X 42 right?
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Re: good binoculars reasonably priced??

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 am

8x42 is better

you can get more area into focus

and they may be a little lighter....
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby Newarcher on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

Nikon Monarchs in 8 x 42....I had a pair for several years now and they are just the bomb.

I don't see why people buy the $1-2,000 Swars when the Monarchs are around. Now if I were a pro guide I might consider but now way for me. The monarchs are clear and great glasses.

Look around, I think I got mine for around $200. Amazon has them for $224 shipped....better to be had.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby brianerixon on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 am

I have a pair of Nikon Action 10x50 I paid 79.99 but they are normally priced at 99.99
Brian E.

PSE Stinger
Vapour Trail String
Whisker Biscuit
Cobra Sight
Beman ICS Hunter w Blazers
Truball Release
brianerixon

Postby alsbows on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:41 am

Dollar for Dollar the Nikon Monarchs are hard to beat.
alsbows

Postby bear402 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:06 am

Madrat,

I had a similar budget to yours when shopping for glass a couple of years ago. After much research and many reviews, I found I that many users compared the Zen-Ray Vista series binoculars to be on par or in some cases even better than the Monarchs . I can't really vouch for that as I have never done a side by side comparison , but I will say that IMO, the Vista's are a good quality glass.

I ended up with a pair of the Zen-Ray Vista 's in a 10X42. So far I have been very happy with the build and clarity of these binoculars. For my open country western hunting the 10x42's are the ticket . In tighter woods and shorter views, the 8x42's provide a wider field of view an easier hold with a steadier picture..

The Vista 10x42 are on sale this month for $ 120.00 and the 8x42's are $115.00 . The company offers free shipping on the binoculars and a 30 day return policy if you are not happy with your purchase. You do have to eat the return shipping charges however.

Here is a link to their sales site.---------> http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php? ... x&cPath=65
bear402

Postby Newarcher on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Mad,

I wouldn't hesitate to take Bear's advice. Seems that I read a review of the brand he suggested and they were very favorable.

Now I will just tell you that while shopping for mine, I went to Bass Pro and tried the Swarovski next to the Monarchs and I couldn't tell a LICK of difference. I am sure there was something but you figure for 6-10 times the price I should have something that really made me say wow....nope....not even x-ray vision and I tried on a couple two legged creatures walking by.

I think that if you are talking about anything above a Bushnell (or even including Bushnell) you will be happy with the outcome.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby madrat on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks everybody!! I think I'll order the Zen Rays 10 X 42. He's not going to use them for hunting. He just wants to look for deer out in the fields. There's a tree line and levy about 250 - 300 yds away, so I think the 10 x 42 will be better because they'll be a little more magnified. Bear your reputation is riding on this :D

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby madrat on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 pm

ok that seems like a really good price....now I'm thinking about getting a pair! I have an old pair that I use and since I'm pretty hard on my stuff I never really wanted a good pair.....but I think I'm changing my mind. I think I'd get the 8 X 42 for hunting. If I get a pair I'd want a good strap that holds it tight to my chest so they don't bounce around. I've seen the straps like that, but don't know what they are called. Anybody have a website for that??

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby bear402 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Geesh , I gotta do all the work !! :o

http://www.crookedhorn.com/cms/shop.htm ... 1&vmcchk=1

I have these on my Zen-rays and both of my Lazer range finders. They are the Stuuuffff ! I'd never go back to a regular binocular strap. I have seen them at my local Walmart for about the same price as on the Web.

As far as my reputation goes , nothin much on the line there .. Buuttt, if'in they don't suit you , take advantage of the 30 day return policy.

Then my rep won't take as big a hit ! :lol:
bear402

Next

Return to Bowhunting