Climbing tree stands

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Re: Climbing tree stands

Postby GregE on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I'll second the OH, NO Utility Pole warning. I still have creosote splinters in my chest and arm from mid 70s. :o :shock:

Use the safety harness, practice until you're confident ( including shooting) , enjoy. ;)
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 am

:o YIKES!!! NO utility poles EVER!!!!!! Same goes for shag bark hickory trees!!!!
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby alsbows on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:10 am

I respectfully have to disagree with Newarcher concerning climbing hard wood or hard barked trees. I climb oak, maple, ash, beech and many other hardwwod trees with my Summit Viper and Goliath climbers. The stand stays in positin not because it needs to 'dig into" the tree but rather by the weight of the hunter in the stand.

I do agree, however, with the thoughts concerning utility poles. Even though I've climbed a few to prove a point, they should be avoided.

Al
alsbows

Postby Newarcher on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 am

You dare disagree with the NEW? :D

I personally will scout out a pine tree over all others. I like the way that the stand sinks into the bark and tree and will not move--in fact I sometimes have to pull out out to climb down.

Regarding hard barked trees, I have done it. However, you have to be very careful not to bump the stand when strapping the seat section to the tree or when moving your feet around. On hard bark trees, it is much easier than a pine to dislodge the stand accidentally.

Having said that, it isn't a function of the Summit....most all stands work better on soft bark trees. Even on the hard barked trees, I have never had a problem...I am just a little more cautious so as to not knock the foot platform out from under myself.

Summit is probably one of the few companies that I would represent as a Pro Staff....they are that good.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby Newarcher on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am

Keef wrote:Thanks New, I would have made a big mistake.

Tax season is nearly over - yeah.

You will get my bill.....although I am sure that I could climb one in a Summit.

I am happy and sad to see tax season go...lost a couple big clients to the economy this year. I will still make out pretty good but I would say revenues are down 20-30%. Of course, I only do about 10-15 clients a year (part time) so losing about three clients really hurts me.

I will wrap up my last return this evening, unless someone comes along last minute.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby Trlblzr3 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 am

Alsbows I don't think New meant hardwood trees in general. I think he was refering to slick bark trees like sycamore or one that the blade wont cut into easily.
Keef, when you get used to them you'll wonder why you waited so long to try.
Trlblzr3

Postby Keef on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I know what you mean New. We're down maybe 10-15%. We've seen some big securities losses but only one foreclosure. This town is really hurting. It'd be a good time to buy a house here if you could sit on it for a year's until the economy comes back.
Keef

Postby Newarcher on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Keef wrote:I know what you mean New. We're down maybe 10-15%. We've seen some big securities losses but only one foreclosure. This town is really hurting. It'd be a good time to buy a house here if you could sit on it for a year's until the economy comes back.

Yeah, 10-15% sounds about right from everyone I spoke to in the industry.

You can drive around my home's area and find homes that are not quite dried in (homes by the tens or hundreds if you look hard enough) that have gone back to the bank and are just sitting and rotting. Very sad. It seems like some company could come in and salvage the wood in these bank owned homes which will not get completed, rather than letting them rot.

I think that a year might be a little optimistic, I think we are headed for more bad times as the spending of the amabo administration starts hitting the defecit. None of the clowns in DC have a clue how to fix this intentionally created problem (thanks Dems). I guess our only hope is for the elections in Nov that we get some conservatives and the MOOD of the voters becomes one of optimism and they start spending some money. If that doesn't happen, we are hosed.

New
Newarcher

Postby Keef on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm

I mistyped, I meant to say hold the house for a few years. I don't think one year will do it.

I am hoping we add Senator Reid to the unemployed line. He's getting ready to spend $20M to keep his job. That just doesn't sound right does it? $20M to get a $200K job with a six year contract. The math doesn't work.

I'm going to Missouri in a couple of weeks. I think I'll build a moat and a block wall around my little farm.
Keef

Postby Newarcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am

It isn't right.....

I see that stuid Stupak in MI is retiring rather than face the voters. It seems that this congress and president are willing to do anything to do exactly what they want--a radical agenda is just like a terrorist. It isn't about survival of the individual member, it is about accomplishing some goal. I say that our congress and this president are much more dangerous to the US and the world than islamic terrorists. On 9.11 muslims tried to bring down our country and failed. On election day, the voters did the job for the muslims.

I am buying more guns and ammo and putting away some food to rotate through. I honestly believe that some bad things are going to happen in the next 5 years or less.

New
Newarcher

PreviousNext

Return to Bowhunting