Hang gun ownership

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Hang gun ownership

Postby alsbows on Thu May 27, 2010 7:12 am

After reading Madrat's recent post on Obama's ban on gun ownership in this great country I feel I should confess to doing something I said I'd never do.

Last week I bought a S&W 9mm semi-automatic pistol. May not sound like a big deal to many but to me it was almost tramatic. I have always said I have no need for a hand gun and that if there were none in this country we would all live in a better place. But because that is never going to happen and that the bad guys will always have hand gun, I supported hand gun ownership - but I didn't want one.

Understand that I live in rural Vermont and the chances of a home invasion are very slim, but I've been thinking along those lines, and quite frankly, it scares me. When I hear a bump in the night I think about the families that have been slaughtered by thugs and I realize that all my long guns are locked away in my safe. Not any more. The 9mm is at my bedside with a full 16 shot clip nearby.

When I left the gun store the clerk said, "Congratulations. Enjoy the weapon." I thanked him and said that I honestly hope I never have to use it. But I can promise you this - NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO TAKE MY GUNS AWAY!

I sleep a little better now! Thanks for letting me vent.

Al
alsbows

Re: Hang gun ownership

Postby bakerb on Thu May 27, 2010 10:34 am

Welcome to it alsbows! Be sure and shoot that gun too. No use having a gun you can't hit jack with or aren't familiar with using

You know, I'm not an alarmist. I'm not a doomsdayer. I'm not even really that paranoid.

But I like guns, and hand guns are fun (although they scare me some, I'm always way more cautious with a handgun, because no matter where you hold them, your fingers are close to the trigger, and the barrels are so much shorter and easier to lose track of the muzzle).

When I was 14 my parents bought me a western style .22 revolver (I was in a cowboy phase), and encouraged me to carry it when I was out and about. I spend many afternoons, evenings, and weekends roaming the woods near my house, on foot a lot of the time, and on horseback a lot of the time. Carried that sucker everywhere

In 2007 my wife bought me a S&W .40 for our anniversary, and I got a concealed carry permit. I've carried it concealed maybe 6 times since then. But it does provide peace of mind. I'm scared of home invasion at night too, but I don't keep the pistol by the bed. I keep an AR under the bed, and a shotgun hidden away too. I keep the pistol in the truck.

My wife and I recently drove from Texas to Missouri for a law school friend's wedding. I checked, and Oklahoma and Texas both give reciprocity to Missouri concealed carry carry holders, and since we were gonna be on interstates, and possibly truck stations, and rest stops, and we were driving my parents' Lexus SUV, I took the gun. It provided great peace of mind to know that if necessary, I could protect my wife and myself.

I also took it on my elk hunt last year. Carried it in a holster on the hip belt of my pack, and kept it handy in the truck while traveling too.

Like it or not, there are evil men and women out there. Believe me, I see them in my job every day. Taking measure to protect yourself and your family is nothing to be ashamed of

Bake
bakerb

Postby Jerod B. on Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 am

Like it or not, there are evil men and women out there.

I know a LAWYER didn't just type that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeh, I am thinkin' about getting a pistol for the house(22/22mag revolver).....I've had zero problems, but in this town I'm really just a crackhead away from gettin' broke into.....
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby IRONMIKE on Thu May 27, 2010 5:00 pm

I bought my first hand gun a little over five years ago when I started bow hunting. I've run into blackbear here in Washington 3 times and 1 mountain lion only 20 yards away. Way too close for comfort. I'm not worried when I go hiking cause I'm usually talking with someone and making noise, but when I'm bow hunting and sneaking around being quiet with deer scent on, a mountain lion might mistake me for lunch.

I also have a concealed weapons permit. I don't carry as much as I use to, but I work the graveyard shift in a bad part of Tacoma, WA and it, like bakerb said, does provide peace of mind.

As the old saying goes, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

2 months ago, there were alot of house break-ins going on. I'm lucky and have a county Sheriff next door for a neighbor. But one night while I was at work someone called the police for a burglary in progress. A deputy on the way to the scene saw the car driving away and the pursuit was on. The suspect drove just a few house away from mine and the police car blocked the suspects car. The suspect then rammed the police car. He then got out and jumped into my Sheriff neighbors back yard then jumped the fence into my back yard. The police broke boards out of my fence to let the police dog in my back yard. The burglar then broke out my front fence and ran two houses over and hid by a shed before the police dog bit him.
My wife called me at work crying saying someone was in the back yard. I told her to hang up and call 911 and to get my "loaded" gun that I left home. I live 20 minutes from work so you can understand how helpless I felt. But I did have some peace of mind because my wife got the kids in our bedroom and locked the door. My wife has shot my revolver before and knows how and is not afraid to use it. Then the 911 operator was able to tell my wife that the police were knocking on our front door.

What if the burglar broke in and took my family hostage????? Time to get a shot gun for the house!!!!

To President Obama: "NOT ALL OF US HAVE THE SECRET SERVICE TO KEEP OUR FAMILY SAFE!!!"

Calling 911and getting police to your house sometimes just isn' fast enough. We need to be able to protect ourselves.
"We all need the clowns to make us smile" Journey
IRONMIKE

Postby Newarcher on Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Alsbow,

Do yourself a favor and go down and get your booger hooks on a 1911 model....Kimber, Para Ordinance, or Wilson if you are guilded. You will never look back. I like Beretta and Smith and Wesson 9's but once you have felt the single action trigger of a 1911 and carried it around cocked and locked with one in the pipe, you haven't lived.

If you really want trouble, buy into Black Rifle Disease. Get an AR15....there are so many freaking ways to outfit those suckers with accessories and such that you will catch an incurable disease.

I own a Kimber Custom Classic and a Kimber CDP ultra for my carry gun along with a Smith and Wesson Chiefs Special for Summer days (fits nicely in the front pocket of cargo shorts in a holster). I have several AR15's and want several more along with about 2,000 rounds of ammo.

When the wheels come off the bus in this Country (could be as soon as next week) let me tell you that you better have more than a 9 to protect you and yours. My neighbors all joke that if civil unrest starts and rioters and looters come to our neighborhood, the County will have to roll up a mobile morgue because everyone in our neighborhood owns AK's, AR's, handguns, 50 cal BMG's, sniper rifles, full auto machine guns, etc. So unless the rioters happen to be national guardsmen with tanks, we will be stacking them up like firewood.

Good on you my friend. Buy some ammo and practice practice practice....in a stress filled think like a home invasion you will be relying on instinct and muscle memory from your practice. When practicing, focus entirely on front sight....as long as you have your front sight on someone you will hit them. Aim center mass and fill it with holes.

Good luck ask any questions you have.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby Coodster on Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Ohh I like this subject, well long story short I used to have a gun in my veh at all times, front seat or on console, Don't have a conceal carry permit. but in the states I have lived in, didn't need one as long as weapon is in plain view.
Out in the hills of Nv I had my 1911 under the seat or on my side, long trips it was always with me, I started to put it under the seat then next thing you know I would forget its there, then the Kids came along, with my memory leaving a gun in the vehicle and kids. So I basically quit taking my guns with, unless in the hills and a pistol is on my side.
My boys didn't even know I had guns all they seen was bows :mrgreen:
last summer I have started to work with my bows on shooting and gun safety, I would like to get to a point to where I can trust them to be around guns and KNOW they will handle them correctly and a safely, even with other kids around (thats the kicker) I can teach my boys proper gun safety but other peoples kids?????
So for me its to unsafe to have an unlocked gun in the house at this point but it will change in time and age.

What blew me away was my boys reaction when they seen my guns. the curiosity was all over their faces and eyes, Big red light came on when I seen that. it was time to start some gun safety and shooting. I would rather them know guns and handle them safely than to NOT know and be currious and ignorant about them.

I am with all of you but can't just yet.

Al, congrats on the new gun like new said, practice practic practice, they are alot of fun. familiarize yourself with the gun to the point you know how it points without opening your eyes, I agree with center mass..
Last edited by Coodster on Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coodster

Postby Coodster on Thu May 27, 2010 11:12 pm

A lawyer said this to..
No use having a gun you can't hit jack with or aren't familiar with using
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Coodster

Postby bakerb on Fri May 28, 2010 8:54 am

Easy on the lawyer jokes. . . :lol:

Maybe a little off topic. . . .

My wife is a city girl. Born and raised in KC, MO, and never been around guns. At one point before we had a child, she thought I should get rid of all my guns before we had kids. I gently told her "That ain't gonna happen."

I explained that I do intend to keep guns unloaded and locked up when the little turd becomes mobile.

Secondly, she said, she didn't think our kids even needed to shoot guns until they were in their teens. Again, I gently informed her that was a bad idea.

Here is my reasoning, as Coodster mentioned, kids are curious. I was curious, and we didn't have guns around until I was 9 or 10. Dad had a .38 special in his drawer for protection, and I remember, when I was 11 or 12, and before I had my own guns, I would take that gun out when left alone and shoot it. Course, I was also the 11 year old that would go get the tractor or farm truck out when home alone and go out for a spin :D

On the other hand, I grew up rural, alongside kids that had multiple guns in teh house. I can remember going over to friends' houses, and there were rifles and shotguns propped in corners. I was curious, but knew I would get my butt kicked to even touch, so I never touched. My friends on the other hand were used to it, and their dads took them out to shoot all the time. So they didn't have the curiousity.

I told my wife, that when and if our kids show any curiousity, as long as they are old enough to understand and use safe gun handling, that I will take them out shooting and let them shoot whatever they want, in a supervised setting. Satisfy the curiousity AND teach proper gun safety. Still keep everything locked up, but I told her, that if the desire is strong enough (when the kids start to get a little older, like 10), and that curiousity isn't satisfied, the little turds are gonna figure out how to get their hands on stuff. With technology, kids are little freaking McGiver's. They'll listen for clicks and pick a dang safe. Or I'll have some invisible ink put on my hands, and they'll use a black light to see what comination I put into the electric pad on the safe :lol: THen they'll have some program with different combinations of numbers, and those technologically genius little B** s will figure it out.

She saw my point. ONe of the few arguments I've ever won ;)

Bake
bakerb

Postby Newarcher on Fri May 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Let me tell you guys what I have done with my Son (age 11) and my daughter (age 7).

I am a firm believer that any gun locked up in the gun safe is as useless as balls on a Bishop. Now I am not an advocate of leaving loaded guns around easily within reach but I believe that you need a gun at hand...just this past week on Thursday there was a home invasion just down the road from me in my subdivision with only a teenage girl at home.

Right now, in the corner of my bedroom, are two AR15's and a muzzle loader which are all unloaded. I walk by, pick them up, play with them, let my son tinker with them. Then I put them back in a very specific way so that I know if anyone has touched them. I have been meaning to put them in the safe just in case someone breaks in while we aren't home...I'd hate to see them missing. But I am just lazy. The point being, my kids haven't touched these guns in 1 year unless I was with them and allowed it.

Both have shot my 22's and my son has shot my .270, '06, and my AR15. Both like the novelty of the guns but having been given a chance to shoot them, the natural deviousness of the item is taken away. No longer is it a sinful intriging item, it is just something else of my Dad's that I am not allowed to touch.

Now as for my self-defense guns, I move them often so the kids never know where they are and never let them see where I put them. I have actually disabled them by removing the firing pin and then put them together and left them laying around (of course unloaded) and not only did the kid not touch them, they came running and told me about it. Test passed.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby bakerb on Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 pm

That's my point exactly New. . .

You have to take away the curiousity and the urge to do something just because they know it's not allowed.

Now. . . I'm a new father. I'm no parenting guru. Not an expert, my ideas aren't tested. But I'm only 28, I remember rebelling and doing stuff just because I knew I wasn't supposed to.

Taking the farm truck down to the marina to go "mudding" when I was 12 and 13 and the parents weren't home was fun, because I wasn't supposed to. If they allowed it (and they probably would have, I wasn't hurting anything), it wouldn't have been as much fun. When my grandpa allowed me to drive the farm trucks back to the farm, I was proud of the responsibility, and would not have done anything stupid to jeopardize the trust my grandpa placed in me, a stupid 13 year old.

I also trained my parents on guns, especially my mom. When I got to 15 and 16 and starting accumulating some guns, my mother, who knew how to shoot, and wasn't afraid of the guns, would still never touch them. I'd come in and leave a gun on the dryer as I got undressed in teh mudroom and then went upstairs to shower. Mom wouldn't move the gun. She would order me to make sure it was unloaded and move it to where it was supposed to be.

I'm trying to train my wife the same way.

Funny story. . . . when I lived at home, I had the upstairs to myself. My windows had a great view of our 20 acre pasture, and a big 80 acre conservation area hay field. Every morning when I got up, the first thing I did was look out the windows for coyotes. Then I would shower and again check the windows when I got out. And I would keep checking the windows as I got ready. One day, I spotted a big coyote down in teh pasture, so I grabbed my 7mm STW, opened a window and missed the sucker at about 200 yards.

My parents were downstairs getting ready too, and all the sudden after the shot, I hear my mom shout up "Are you okay?" I said yeah, I shot at a coyote. "did you get him?"

I had her trained well. So well in fact (sorry for my trips down memory lane, but I enjoy sharing stories), that when I first started trapping I caught my first bobcat one night and didn't get home until about 1 a.m. Mom came out to take pictures, then asked what I was going to do with it. I just looked at her. . . . All of the sudden, her shoulders and face visibly fell, and she said "I'll go get some trash bags." with resignation in her voice. We triple wrapped the bobcat, then it went into the deep freeze. I never said a word

Bake
bakerb

Next

Return to Bowhunting