The Marlboro Man...

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

The Marlboro Man...

Postby Newarcher on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Well folks, it looks like the Marlboro man is in seriously bad health.....what you say? The Marlboro Man is the name I affectionately gave my Uncle Paul.

My uncle Paul was the Marlboro Man to me....tall, thin, sun wrinkled skin, denim and cowboy boots. He smoked his own meat, processed his own deer (on the kitchen table no less), and grew his own rabbit tobacco. He and my Aunt and my Cousin were the ones I would stay with when I went to Virginia to see the rest of my family. Eddie, my Cousin, and I were three hollahs and two mountains away by late afternoon and almost made it back before pitch dark that one time. :D. Paul was a tall and thin, yet very powerful man back then...an ex-prison guard for the State Penal system. I can see him now sitting in his recliner talking in that raspy sly tone of his as he told me one hunting or fishing story or another. He knew the art of telling a story and always talked low to draw the listener in. He seemed to know everyone in the world and had a good story on most of them. :D

Paul was about the story:

-There was that time he accidentally shot a buck in the face with birdshot and it charged him (he was mulitask hunting as he called it). He thought he had a slug in it. Ended up climbing a tree--the only tree around--to avoid the mad buck. He says he thought while up there that it would make a good place to hunt but couldn't re-climb it later when he came back! That one was true because he showed me the tree later. :D

-There was the time he was out of bullets and saw a nice buck and decided to chase it down and grab it by the tail and wrastle it. Just before he caught its tail, he stumbled and darned if he didn't stuck his thumb right up that deer's rear! So when I asked what he did then, he just said "I held on"! (that was an early embellishment story--he was holding court and we were young and dumb enough to buy the story).

-Too many more to note.

Paul is special to me for way too many reasons to note here. Always patient...kind...never a harsh word. Most importantly, Paul gave me something that I will never be able to repay. Paul introduced me to hunting Whitetail deer. We arrived one trip just early enough to meet Eddie and Paul headed out the door to go hunting one morning very early. I begged my Dad to let me go despite traveling all night. Paul didn't know I noticed, but he gave my Dad a reassuring nod and a wink and said "I just happen to have my lucky gun right here that Mike can use" (a Daisy Red Rider BB gun). That was my first hunting trip. I can still smell the coffee and Redman chewing tobacco and the seats in that old Ranger (back when the Ford Ranger was full sized). On about 30 minutes into walking around the woods with me making so much noise--in the heavy-leafed hardwoods--that surely every deer in Virgina vacated, I slipped while navigating a steep slope sideways. Trying to catch myself, I slammed that BB gun's metal side into the side of a rock and that noise echoed for minutes it seemed. He never got mad, he just smiled that smile that told me "you will hear about this one for years to come and that noise will get louder with each and every time I tell it".

Paul had part of a lung taken out a couple months ago and was recovering well when he started hurting in his liver area and having trouble breathing. They believe it is cancer of the lymph, liver, and lung that's left....can't get very far. They plan to do a biopsy tomorrow and if it is cancer, they can't operate and he will be turned over to hospice.

I had the pleasure of calling him tonight to tell him that I love him and that I and everyone I know was praying for him. I found a roundabout way to work in my thanks to him for teaching me to hunt without it sounding like goodbye. I just told him that he gave me something I would never be able to repay, which is the gift of learning to hunt. I told him that had it not been for him, I would never know the pure joy and love of hunting. I got to tell him thanks and that felt good. We ended the conversation with him telling me--uninvited mind you--about that time that I almost broke his favorite 'lucky rifle' against a rock when I slipped and fell ....and one last time, the noise got louder! :(

Hoping and praying for the best, but fearing the worst for the Marlboro man.

Thanks for reading this post.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Re: The Marlboro Man...

Postby Swamp Fox >>---> on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 am

Thoughts and prayers for you and your Uncle, New.
Swamp Fox >>--->

Postby GregE on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:59 am

Wow... What a privaledge to read that tribute. Well done!!

G
GregE

Postby Coodster on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:16 am

New sorry to hear this,very well written. you are close to your uncle as I was to mine. I still think of him often and he passed 26 years ago.
cherish the time you have left.
Coodster

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 am

Coodster wrote:New sorry to hear this,very well written. you are close to your uncle as I was to mine. I still think of him often and he passed 26 years ago.
cherish the time you have left.

Every time I think you are a Southern, slow thinking, Lad, you go and put up an amazingly well written, emotion filled post like this....THANK YOU for sharing the Marlboro Man with all of us!! He sounds like a wonderful Uncle, He'll be in my prayers today!!! Wi-Doe
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby seamus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 am

Praying for the best.
My dad didn't hunt, so I also had an uncle who took me under his wing, and took me hunting. His name was Paul also.
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Postby Andrew99 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 am

As others have already said...THANK YOU for sharing this with us.

Next week it will be 2-years since my father passed away of cancer. He was the man that introduced me to the great outdoors. I thank the Lord often that he did as it has very much shaped who I am today.

My hearfelt prayers go out to you and your family.
Andrew99

Postby Newarcher on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks all....

Out of all of this, I have learned the spending time with the kids in the outdoors teaching them to hunt and fish will be worth whatever costs. Sure, I will have to deal with days of not seeing deer because they make too much noise. Sure, I might even have a year where I don't even get a deer...but this is priority one right now.

I must become much more patient because it isn't my nature.

My son has zero interest...went with me once and once we got the ground blind set up he wanted to leave. My daughter will go though.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Newarcher wrote:Thanks all....

Out of all of this, I have learned the spending time with the kids in the outdoors teaching them to hunt and fish will be worth whatever costs. Sure, I will have to deal with days of not seeing deer because they make too much noise. Sure, I might even have a year where I don't even get a deer...but this is priority one right now.

I must become much more patient because it isn't my nature.

My son has zero interest...went with me once and once we got the ground blind set up he wanted to leave. My daughter will go though.

New

New. That's ironic!! I took my son out once, I killed a deer and he helped me just fine but he never went again. He fell in love with playing the guitar and now he has about 7 of them!! He's been taking lessons for 5 years now and plays in a local band...my daughter, like yours. is VERY interested and wants me to teach her how to shoot a bow, she's real good with a gun and has helped me gut many deer and 1bear.....so I respect their interests and encourage them in what they want to do...there is a special bond between a father and his daughter...I have 3 and 1 grand daughterso I can speak from experience.enjoy the ride!!! Wi-Doe
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby Keef on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Sorry to hear the news. I'm sure he was pleased to hear from you. Obviously he means a lot to you and I wish him and your family the very best.
Keef

Next

Return to Bowhunting