Elk photos

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Elk photos

Postby Keef on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 am

I wanted to show you a few of the elk I saw. Can't believe I passed on this bull because he wouldn't make 300" and that was my goal.

Nice shot angle.

Cows cooling off.

Last edited by Keef on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keef

Re: Elk photos

Postby Keef on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am

A couple more pictures.

Nice buck.

Keef

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 am

nice bull but he is weak on mass
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby InDaWoods on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Great pictures Keef. Thanks for sharing. Me personally, no ever taken an elk before...would have had no trouble letting an arrow fly at that bad boy! You, and with your wall, have higher standards. Either way, it had to have been VERY exciting to have those elk around you that close. Again, great pictures!
InDaWoods

Postby Jason on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Kudos to you for being able to pass....of course if you hadn't team 9 would be at 160 points!!!!!

Just kidding....you gotta pass on those bulls or it pretty much squashes your chances of still having a tag when the big boy finally shows up.

Cool pictures!
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby bakerb on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 am

Nice pics! What Utah unit did you hunt? If you don't mind telling (if you leave that unanswered, I won't blame you)? ;)

I'm thinking I'll actually try to draw Utah next year. Not that I will, I only have 5 elk points there

B
bakerb

Postby Keef on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 am

It was the south slope of Diamond Mtn. I wouldn't recommend this area for two reasons. First it isn't known for having large elk. More importantly, most of the land is private so you have to hire a guide. The ranch I was on didn't care much for bowhunters so I wouldn't go there again. Another guide had recommended this area and I didn't check it out before I applied for the tag. My bad. But I wouldn't have known about the guide's attitude toward bowhunters. He seemed to be ok with them when I spoke to him on the phone. Check Eastman's or the Huntin Fool for the best areas for DYI and large elk.
Keef

Postby bakerb on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

That's my problem Keef, I want to stay away from Eastman's or Huntin' Fool recommendations right now with only 5 points.

I would love to hunt the San Juan or Monroe, but probably not gonna draw those tags with only 5 points. I'd like to find a lesser known unit with good quality bulls, nothing huge needed.

My latest elk hunt has just made the affliction worse. I've had great luck and been able to tag two bulls, but I was disappointed this year with my lack of knowledge and I can point to several things that really hurt my chances. I'd like a re-do in a decent area. Would really like a mature 6 pt bull

I think I've gotten to a place where my drawing strategy has changed. . . .

Before, I thought "I'll bank points in Utah, Arizona, and Nevada and try to draw a primo unit someday and kill a whopper. In the meantime I'll hunt OTC in CO, put in for NM, and try to draw a WY general tag every two or three years." Now my strategy is probably going to change. . . . .Find some lesser known units in Utah and Arizona with reasonable odds of a 330 class bull and put in for those tags. Also put in for NM every year (and I'm giving serious thought to finding unit wide landowner tags in NM that are reasonable, I simply loved the unit we hunted this year). Only hunt CO OTC if I don't draw somewhere else. Then just find a decent unit in Nevada to put in for every year as well, although that will still take a while probably with the numbers of tags.

Bake
bakerb

Postby Keef on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Unit 231 is the one for Nevada. Big, big bulls but very, very hard to draw.
Keef

Postby bakerb on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Doesn't look like any NF there. Is that all BLM land? Suitable for DIYer?

B
bakerb

Next

Return to Bowhunting