back tension release

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

back tension release

Postby alsbows on Sun May 01, 2011 11:09 am

I have to admit to having struggled with target panic for over 35 years. I developed it while shooting competition and have never really conquered it. If I shot a lot I could minimize the flinch but it was always there - always in the back of my mind.

A few weeks ago I watched a video by Bill Winke on his internet show "Midwest Whitetails" and he demonstrated the use of a new back tension release made by Scott Archery called the Longhorn Hex. What makes this release unique is that it has a wrist strap so there is no chance of an accidental release while pulling the bow back (many an archer has punched themselves in the mouth while drawing a back tension release). The Hex eliminates this probability.

Anyway, I bought one for $138 bucks and gave it a try this morning. The results are interesting. I immedately began shooting 2" groups at 20 yards and the release was as smooth as I could ever hope for. I did, however, have a problem getting the thing to release. I'm so used to punching the trigger it seemed like I was at full draw for a very long time waiting for the thing to go off. I'm sure I'll get use to it in time but right now it's a little troublesome.

I've been told that back tension releases are not the best thing for hunting - that they are a training aid and they help the archer gain an appreciation for a shot going off unexpectedly. I know that many of you out there are highly experienced and I'm sure you know more than I about back tension releases. Do any of you hunt with them?

Thanks,

Al
alsbows

Re: back tension release

Postby Jerod B. on Sun May 01, 2011 8:19 pm

I shoot index finger releases with back tension.

You just need to get one made by Carter that have the trigger poundage that is adjustable so that it can be set at 3lbs or more.

I shot them for years after training on a hinge release to start out with back tension.
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Re: back tension release

Postby Jason on Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 am

I haven't used one. I watched those same videos of Bill Winke's.
I've always fought with target panic too. About every hundredth arrow I have a spaztic release caused by anticipating hitting the trigger before it goes off. My muscles then relax, then the trigger goes off and I missed the target by 2 feet. :x :D
I have to say it is happening far less now that I have a release with a swept back trigger that sits deep in my fingers.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Return to Bowhunting