Bad shot

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Bad shot

Postby rick243 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 pm

I just shot a doe just above the spine about midway on her body. She bolted off without dropping to her knees or anything. Arrow went about halfway through. Found spots of blood and followed for about 300 yards over 3 fences, till blood trail ended. Just wondering if she will survive, I feel awful about it.
rick243

Re: Bad shot

Postby Joe W. on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Sorry Rick....but from what you said it sounds like a survivable wound...as long as infection doesn't set in. I know you feel bad but deer are pretty tough animals.

Good luck the rest of the season and welcome to the forum.

Joe
This is this. This ain't something else, this is this.
Joe W.

Postby rick243 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Thx Joe, Not sure why i am hitting in that area. I killed a doe last year and hit in same spot, except arrow went right under spine and she bled out before she went 30 yrds. When i got home this morning i climbed on roof and took a couple of shots at target and hit bulleyes. maybe i am not paying enough attention to my anchor point when shooting at a deer. I hope i can figure this out soon, i have got several daytime pics of a really nice 12 pointer and a few diff. decent 8 pointers on tral cam.
rick243

Postby Joe W. on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Rick......I don't know how many deer you have killed but a few of the most common errors for newer bowhunters are shooting at the whole deer.....and guessing the yardage wrong. Take some time to range objects around your stand...this way you will know if the deer is by "that rock" it is at 20 yds...if it is by "that tree" it is 25 yds,..etc. And....pick a small spot on the deer....a hair....dark spot....something to focus you just like the bulls eye does when practicing. Aim small....miss small as they say.
This is this. This ain't something else, this is this.
Joe W.

Postby rick243 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 pm

i been bowhunting for about 4 yrs now, but only been seeing and shooting at deer for last 2 yrs, finally found a good spot...lol. i think i have the yardage worked out (will double check though), but i may be aiming at to big a spot, i aim for center of ribcage. i will try to shrink target spot next time and take more time aiming before i let arrow fly. thx again for the input. Good luck Hunting
rick243

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm

if hunting from a stand you could be dropping your arm rather than bending at the waist which will cause high shots...trust me, I've shot OVER plenty :?
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby rick243 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Jerod, I bet thats excatly what im doing wrong. If i am dropping my arm, would my kisser point (where string usally touches nose and lip on full draw when target shooting) be off? ie, If kisser point is same as when target shooting I should be good to go?
rick243

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Never used a kisser, however, I know my peeps have stayed put and I still shot high. You are inadvertantly looking higher in the peep.

You need to feel your release elbow coming UP when you are bringing the bow down on a deer. Trust me, simply dropping your bow arm is waaaaaaay more comfortable than bending at the waist, that is why we shoot high so much from elevated positions.

You need to practice and see the difference b/n the 2
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby x2a2306 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Everything mentioned so far is certainly a factor and can be a big factor. But to me, it's like Joe W. said. You have to aim at a small spot on the deer. We are on a deer management program and shoot a lot of doe with our bows. I can be hitting them not quite exactly in a good spot and it's only when I start saying to myself "I'm going to shoot her right there" that I start poking them through the "boiler room". Aiming at the small spot can be even more difficult if your having to shoot through some limbs or brush. I tend to forget about aiming at that small spot and end up shooting at brown hair while concentrating on getting my arrow through that "hole" in the brush. It doesn't usually work out to good. I think you'll have more success if you aim at a hair instead of aim at a deer.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
Hope you smoke the next one.
x2a2306

Postby alsbows on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:06 am

Sounds to me like you're well on your way Rick. Everything you, Joe and JB said is right on.

Just remember to bend at the waist - it is so important!

Let's read about the one that didn't get away the next time you post.

Good luck,

Al
alsbows

Next

Return to Bowhunting