Hunting Whitetails by the Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Hunting Whitetails by the Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer

Postby Double B on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:04 am

I remember reading on here about this book Hunting Whitetails by the Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer.
I think it was WI-Doe. So I did my seaching and finally found it. I hope it is all that I've heard about it.
I chose this book and another by Mr. Alsheimer as he seems down to earth and very knowledgeable.

In reading some magazines and watching hunting shows I find that almost none of these reflect the woods I hunt or how the deer behave.
Not to say I don't gain some knowledge, but just not what I'm looking for.
Nor do I have a pear tree and a camo bathrobe to hunt like someone we know :D

I will let you knwo how the reading goes! Only problem is it make my itch for the deer woods that much more. 8 more long months to go!
Double B
Cheektowaga, NY

Mathews DXT
Rage 2-blade
Lonewolf treestand
HSS safety vest harness
Tru-ball release
Gold tips
Rutwear clothing
Double B

Re: Hunting Whitetails by the Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer

Postby bakerb on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:18 pm

If you want to read books by people who hunt like/how/where we hunt. . . read the Eberhart books. They are excellent.

In my opinion they are two of the best books on whitetail hunting that are out there.

Bake
bakerb

Postby Jerod B. on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Dr. Grant Woods used to sell a moon guide. After years a of research he realized temperature and a host of other factors had WAY MORE affect on deer movement. He stopped selling his moon thingee.

If the moon does affect deer movement it plays about 9th fiddle to temperature, hunting pressure, etc,........

I had the moon guide that Jeff Murray puts out. I followed and kept track....one day the deer finally followed it.

Does make for good reading.

Ask yourself this question....Would you NOT go hunting b/c the moon shows it to be a poor day for daytime movement?? Oh, and it is late, late October and it is the first cold snap of the year. Nothing under 50 degrees since last February. :D :D :D :D :D
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:47 am

Double B wrote:I remember reading on here about this book Hunting Whitetails by the Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer.
I think it was WI-Doe. So I did my seaching and finally found it. I hope it is all that I've heard about it.
I chose this book and another by Mr. Alsheimer as he seems down to earth and very knowledgeable.

In reading some magazines and watching hunting shows I find that almost none of these reflect the woods I hunt or how the deer behave.
Not to say I don't gain some knowledge, but just not what I'm looking for.
Nor do I have a pear tree and a camo bathrobe to hunt like someone we know :D

I will let you knwo how the reading goes! Only problem is it make my itch for the deer woods that much more. 8 more long months to go!

JB, yes it was me. I met Charles at one of his seminars at our church, he is a good Christian man. The book is filled with his research on the white tail. His rut prediction chart has been right on the money!!! He is a Northern resident. His farm and Deer enclosure is in NY I believe. He does make comparisons to the Southern whit tail behavior often. Enjoy the read and let us know how you like the book. ;)
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby BillyJhonson on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 am

BillyJhonson

Next

Return to Bowhunting