kid's bows

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

kid's bows

Postby NDTracer on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 pm

I was wondering what all of your thoughts are on some kid's bows or what you recommend. He is 8 and has about a 20" draw and can currently draw 20#. I am wanting something that he can grow with that has a let off and such, basically not a Genesis. The few I have found that I like are the Diamond Razor Edge, Parker ??, Mission Menace, a few Darton's I see at Eders and maybe the Browning Micro Midas.

The Mission would work fine for him now and for a few years as it will adjust from 19-29" or so and can adjust at the upper draw lengths up to 52#. The biggest disadvantage I see is the THICK grip.

The Diamond would be good with the biggest drawback being it has two sets of limbs 20-30# and then 30-60#. I am fine with buying the second set for the extra $50 or so but would prefer to keep the limbs so I have them for my next two sons to use if they show interest.

The Parker I don't know much about other than you can change out the limbs (come in 10# increments) and they let you keep them so I would have them for the younger sons. However to go from 20-60 would be 3 sets of limbs or around $150.

The Darton's I don't know anything about. It sounds like they come with modules to adjust the draw length rather than an adjustable module like the others. I also don't know anything about limbs or grips and no one here carries Darton that I know of. However for the price they would be a great bow to start and could move up.

The Micro Midas I know I thought was good a number of years ago but haven't researched it yet. I know the draw length is good and easily adjusted but I am not sure about the limb weight adjustment.

Any ideas about other options or comments on the above are appreciated. BTW he is willing to pay the first $100 of any bow so I think he will stick with it so no cheapo in the sites. Please keep those out of the equation unless they are cheap in price only, not quality.

Clint
NDTracer

Re: kid's bows

Postby madrat on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am

The only one I hearrd of out of the group you mentioned is the Micro Midas. Let me know what you find out, because my son is 6 and hopefully will want to start shooting soon. I bought him a "cheap" one and it sux! The arrow falls off the rest when I pull it back. I thought about putting a containment rest on there, but I'm not sure it can be done. I pretty much decided I wasted money on this piece of crap and will look to get something descent next time. Maybe look at Archery talk, they may have something used there?
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby Coodster on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 pm

For my 6 y o son, I orderd a fuse freestyle, havnt even taken it out of the packing but the draw goes out to 27 or 28 don't remember, the draw weight is 10-25+. something I was woried about is the physical weight of the bow, I think its 2.3# alot of them are 3 pounds and more. I will let you know how it goes with this little bow, his birthday is in july so I have some time to set it up till then, but right now my time is limited, give me a few weeks and I'll get a full report on it with max wt and draw. this little bow came with 3 junk arrows a little 3 pin sight and a 2 piece quiver. at first I didn't like the sight and was going to put a better one on but started to think how rough kids are on their toys so stayed with the junk sight and quiver. He has been shooting his recurve pretty good with decent form and most of all its been pretty consistant form.

This bow hoyt/fuse picked up from whisper creek archery, don't know the extent of how much they are going to be involved with whisper creek.

Most of all, he liked the looks of it :lol:
Coodster

Postby NDTracer on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Chad I looked at the Whisper Creek and the Fuse too. If I recall it will max out at 25# so I decided against it. I did like the way it shot though, or at least looked alot better than the steel cable round cam one he was shooting beside it that day.
NDTracer

Postby Double B on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm

My 10yr old son has a micro midas and loves it.
It is adjustable from 22# up to 45# and a whole range of draw lengths.
I think it is a very nice bow with room to grow.
Double B
Cheektowaga, NY

Mathews DXT
Rage 2-blade
Lonewolf treestand
HSS safety vest harness
Tru-ball release
Gold tips
Rutwear clothing
Double B

Postby NDTracer on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:57 pm

OOPS I should have filled you in on this tread too. I bought the Diamond Razor Edge for him. We have shot a couple time but don't have near enough time to do it.

Last time we shot I had to laugh at him. it went something like:
I am tired and hungry this is my last set of arrows.

He hit the target just above the bulls eye.

OK this is my last set of arrows.
NDTracer

Postby RafaelCasarez on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 am

I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and exposure! Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.
Math Academy is a maths tuition centre that specializes exclusively in JC H2 math tuition, A Maths tuition, E Maths tuition and lower sec maths tuition. We pride ourselves in providing small group tuition (max 6 for lower sec and 8 for upper sec and JC) and our comprehensive copyrighted notes.Our patience and commitment provide the difference that our students appreciate.
RafaelCasarez

Postby ianolsson on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks. I've just got some cool suggestions for my kids bows.
lenny face
ianolsson

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting