Rage broadheads

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Rage broadheads

Postby Keef on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm curious as to how many of you use the Rage head and want to know what you think of it. Please don't tell me what other websites say, I'm asking about personal experiences.
Keef

Re: Rage broadheads

Postby brianerixon on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:29 pm

They Cannot be reused like good fixed blades, they do fly simialler to field points, but good fixed blades will do that too.
I think there is too much "rage" among the Bowhunting Televison Industry, I don't think there as good as there thought to be.
Brian E.

PSE Stinger
Vapour Trail String
Whisker Biscuit
Cobra Sight
Beman ICS Hunter w Blazers
Truball Release
brianerixon

Postby Trlblzr3 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Brian is right the hex hole in the allen screws that hold the blades rounds out when you try to remove due to pressure exerted on them from impact.
That being said they absolutely do the job they say they do and I have not had a deer go more than 100 yards since I started using them.
I personally do not reuse a broadhead shot at a deer so the ability to replace blades is not an issue.
I plan to continue to use them.
Trlblzr3

Postby Konrad on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 pm

No matter what the industry advertising folks will tell you, the single most important part of your bowhunting setup is the business end of the arrow…your broadhead point.

It matters little if you are able to use one pin to sight out to 100 yards and your arrow is still traveling at 300 feet per second if, when your arrow arrives, your broadhead has no ability to penetrate through hair, skin, muscle (where I come from we call it moosle), bone (ribs, scapulae, tibia, etc.) and then critically damage the circulatory system contained within and supplying vital organs. The broadhead must retain its sharpness while cutting, its shape (bent points reduce penetration dramatically), not be easily deflected in its path (it won’t do you any good to properly place your shot only to have the darned thing skittering off into the weeds or worse, the paunch) and it must be able to penetrate bone.

This final requirement is critical to success. There are few “Big Game” animals that do not sport skeletons supporting moosle and protecting the vital organs. No, carp don’t count as big game.

Good broadhead design is based on physics proven by centuries of field experience.

The cutting edges of a broadhead are simple machines…inclined planes. The more dramatic the angle of incidence, the more energy is required for the edge to continue forward in its path (i.e. it takes more energy to climb a steep set of stairs than a gradually rising ramp). Many of the founders of modern bowhunting believed a three-to-one ratio was the optimum angle for efficient use of an arrow’s energy. That three-to-one represents for every one inch of cutting diameter, there should be three inches of broadhead length.

More resent studies, provided by one Dr. Ed Ashby; conclusively prove a two cutting edged head requires less energy to penetrate all of the tissues encountered in big game targets. Not only will two bladed heads penetrate fleshy tissue better than three or four bladed heads but when it comes to bone, the two bladed heads stand head-and-shoulders (no pun intended) above the other designs.

One of the other important features proven to be paramount in head design is the cutting edge itself. A single bevel has a MUCH greater advantage when it comes to splitting bone and passing through fleshy tissues. As the edge encounters resistance, the head turns requiring less force to travel forward.

This year, I settled upon the Magnus Stinger, two-edged head. The negative with this broadhead is that it’s not “sexy” or the “latest and greatest” thing to come down the pike.

I am sure you will have PLENTY of folks telling you the Rage is the best thing since sliced bread and as much as I respect Chuck Adams, I think the economics of endorsing a mechanical became a financial priority (they finally made him an offer he couldn’t refuse). He may have reasoned that 99% of hunting products sold in North America are pointed at deer. In which case the Rage has a high probability of success.

Excess speed making arrow flight erratic seems a bit thin as an excuse for conversion to a mechanical style. This all sounds too convenient in an age of instant gratification. Tuning archery equipment, I find, is one of the more enjoyable aspects to the sport.

I also find it interesting that many compound archers will suggest a two-bladed head for “low poundage or traditional archers” but won’t follow what they know works reliably???

The idea behind a broadhead is efficient killing.

My question remains: What happens when a bone gets in the way of the patented slip cam?
...and he threw away his looking glass.
He saw his face in everyone.
Konrad

Location: North Puget Sound, almost to Canada, in Washington State

Postby brianerixon on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:38 pm

I think bad things will happen :o
Brian E.

PSE Stinger
Vapour Trail String
Whisker Biscuit
Cobra Sight
Beman ICS Hunter w Blazers
Truball Release
brianerixon

Postby Keef on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks for your thorough analysis Konrad, but my question was two fold "have you used the Rage?" and "what did you think of it?" Neither of which did you address. I wanted to solicit comments from past and present users of the head. I also said I wanted comments based on personal experiences not case studies.
Keef

Postby Jerod B. on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:56 am

My 0.0125647 cents

Hey Keef, the feedback we get at the shop is all positive...as for as the kills, as usual people complain about the set screw and not being able to reuse them, all that coming from people who shoot maybe 2 animals a year with a bow :roll: , if you are shooting a ton of hogs, try something less expensive I say ;)

I heard they were coming out with a 125 grain so I will be able to try some on my 444 grain deer arrows....I planned on using the 1.5" Rage on my 520 grain hog arrows, but I lost my hog spot...

Before Chuck Adams got "paid off"(yeh right, people must think archery companies are like Gatorade and Nike with millions to spew) we had people coming into the shop saying it literally looked like they had hit their hogs with a hatchet or a machete...

Our store manager used them on some Turkerys and that was wicked.....

I'll say one thing about Ulmer(and Adams if you like) that you already know, they ain't using something just to get a pay check........
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby Keef on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:11 am

Yes JB, Randy used the Rage to kill the 400+" elk when I hunted with him. His brother uses the Snyper which isn't made anymore but I get it from a reliable source that Rage is coming out with it under a different name. I guess they own the patent.

I've seen and heard of guys using thin piano wire, bow string wax and rubber bands to keep the blades from prematurely opening either in the quiver or in flight. Maybe the rubber bands are the most practical but why didn't they use to start with?

I agree about the cost and hog hunting with them. I wouldn't use them for that, way too expensive. To me a broadhead is a one shot proposition. If I hit what I'm aiming at who cares if I can use it again. I am too concerned about arrow flight to reuse almost any head. If I'm going to spend money and time on a hunting trip and maybe only get one shot, the last thing I want to happen is for a broadhead to fly funny because I used it before and somehow messed it up. I might shoot used heads for varmints but not big game.

Thanks for the feedback.
Keef

Postby Jerod B. on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 am

Keef,

the Glendale folks bought the rights to use the Snyper design from Rocky Mtn broadheads, the main reason I can see why they maybe didn't use the rubber band was to make it more maintenance free, I realize a rubber band is not much, but just using an O-Ring on the back end for the blades to "bump" off of made it more marketable(I think) and one less eye sore that you had to watch out for...

the G5 Tekan works off the same principle, O-Ring on the back.....course the new Tekan has some mini-clips back there instead of an O-ring, you can choose b/n two sizes depending on your speed...

Also, Randy Ulmer shot the Snyper for years.......we have a couple packs at the store....Newarcher loves them things..

I think their cut is only 1 3/8"......good penetration for sure...
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby EHS on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:44 pm

While I don't use them I have tracked deer shot with them by friends. One is particular was not a complete pass thru and the blood trail was moderate to spotty from the high entrance hole. I have used other brands of expandables and got similar hits with no blood trail at all. So, in short, having a good opened up entrance hole that actually bleeds from the wound and not lung blood spilling out can be a life saver if the deer does not fall in sight. The places I hunt are thick and one often loses sight of the animal instantly.
EHS

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting