Rage broadheads

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Re: Rage broadheads

Postby Jason on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:51 pm

This is the next best thing to personal experience. My brother has been using them (the 3 blade) for a couple of years and has shot around 8 animals with them.......including a bull moose. He really likes them and continues to use them. The hole they put in animals is Big. All shots have been inside 30 yards with the exception of the the Moose at 40..... He shoots a Drenalin at about 63 pounds. Penetration has never been an issue. The Bull moose was quartering away...the arrow entered at about the 3rd rib from the back and just poked through the other side (not through the skin though)....burying to the fletching. I have been with him on about 4 of these kills (including the Moose). For the most part, all blood trails were great. The exceptions....1 doe bled like CRAZY for 20 yards where it crashed and then got up and ran like the blazes. It made it about 60 yards from that spot without spilling any blood....it had a low exit wound that was HUGE.....had it already bled out???? who knows???? The Moose was hit high (from a treestand) with no exit.... the blood trail was sparse. I know at least one of the deer dropped at the shot and was hit in the spine, dropping in it's tracks.

I've used Tekan II's on my last 6 deer (and have had no problems). Last week I just bought three 2 blade Rages and will be trying them out next year. I've "read" that the 2 blades fly better than the 3 blades (my brother's been hitting where he's aiming though :) )

I agree with JB..... Adams/Ulmer wouldn't shoot a bad broadhead just because they were getting a few bucks more than available from another broadhead company.

Oh, and being that they work on the same principal, I think it's relavent to note that I've broken a few bones with the Tekan II and not had any problem with penetration or them holding together.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby madrat on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 pm

I've used Rage two blade broadheads the last three years and I shot two deer. I shot a 180 lb buck and a 145 lb doe. I shoot a Mathews Drenalin at 62 lbs. My draw length is 27.5. My arrows are about 375 grains. On the buck I didn't get a pass thru. It was a 20 yd shot. I hit it slightly forward and it was slightly quartering to me. I didn't even come close to a pass through. The arrow only went in about 8 inches. I found the deer 50 yds away. There was no blood trail. I never figured out why I didn't get better penatration. I couldn't find a bone or anything hard that my arrow hit.

I debated on switching broadheads, but I had two broadheads left. After thinking about it a while I decided to get my bow "crackerized" to make sure it was perfectly tuned. I shot the doe the next season. The doe was about 12 yds. It was a perfect shot. I had an ok blood trail, but not a great one. If I remeber correctly my arrow passed thru, but barely came out the off side and was still in the deer. She ran about 30 yds.

I bought another pack and I love the way they shoot, but I do have concerns about penetration, especially if I hit bone. I have mixed opinions because both deer died within 50 yds so the broadhead did it's job. It's hard to argue with results. I decided to crank my poundage up and now I'm shooting about 68-70 lbs. I do agree that they're a one shot broadhead, but like Keef I only use all my broadheads once.

I've posted the pictures of the buck a few times. I'll see if I can fnd the pics and attach them to this thread. The broadheads do MAJOR damage, but like I said, I have some concerns about penatration. Maybe I can shoot something this weekend in the 0 degree weather to see if my penetration is any better since I cranked up my poundage!!

Here's the doe. I think this is the exit wound, but I could be wrong.

Here's 2 pics of the buck

It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am

Never used them Roy, sorry I can't comment :(
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby j870sm on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm

New to the site and this is my first post. Hello to all from Texas. You asked for personal experience and thoughts. I have personally used Rage 2 blades and I have personally taken hogs with these heads, no deer. First, the head is once and done but that may not be an issue. I shot 3 hogs recently with Rage 2 blade and recovered all 3. 1 had a great blood trail, I shot it from about 17 feet off the ground. The other 2 were shot on the ground and left sparse blood trails with complete pass thru's. I am new here and do not want to start anything but personally I can find better heads for less money. If you are shooting enough weight and you are shooting an arrow on the heavy side these work OK. I much prefer a fixed blade head over the Rage. When I do shoot mechanicals I shoot Grim Reapers, these perform much better for me. Because of the marginal performance out of the Rage I have not tried them on deer and will not. I appreciate the fact that many do like these heads, have a high degree of confidence in these heads and have had great results out of these heads. Because of my experiences with 2 blade Rage I will stick with fixed blade heads or Grim Reapers. The only reason I used the 3 I wrote about is because I got them for Christmas and was determined to use them up on hogs.

Someone talked about 2 blade heads being better all around. I agree with this. I just started using Carbon Express XT4's. I would consider these 2 blade heads with 2 small bleeder blades. With 7 hogs down using these blades I have a pretty high degree of confidence in these and I can keep using them. I also shoot Slick Trick standards, magnums and Grizz tricks as well as Muzzy MX4's.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

Enjoy this site, have perused many threads before joining up. Good luck to each of you and good shooting.
j870sm

Postby Keef on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 pm

j870sm, Welcome. I think you'll like it here. Good folks and a lot of ribbing one another.
Keef

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

j870sm , WELCOME to the Forum!!!! Thanks for a great response....post often and enjoy the best group of gentleman bowhunters on the planet!!!!

Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby j870sm on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Look forward to learning a lot and I hope I can share something as well.
j870sm

Postby GregE on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm

WELKome to the forum.

Nice first post- looking forward to some more. Pictures are Always appreciated!1 ;)
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby maineguide on Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

There is a lot of hype about these heads on opening during flight and not being able to reuse the Rage again. Like it is a one time broad head. I have used these broad heads with no problem. They fly great "just like a field point" as they say and it is true. I have never had the blades open during flight. If the blades are locked in the orings the way they should be they will not open. I take and tap the arrow shaft on my hand before I put it on the bow rest to make sure and they stay where they are suppose to. I have shot deer and turkeys with the same head and they have gone thru bone and into the ground. Just a bit of touch up to sharpen and good to go. I like the Rage 2 blades as you can tell. The deer that I have shot there is more blood than I have ever seen. They run about 40 yards. Turkeys boy do they rip them open. Just my 2 cent worth.
maineguide

Postby reflex on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm

I have used the 3 blade rage with mixed results. I shot a nice 8pt last year. Good pass through and awesome blood trail. He went about 50 yds before going down. About a month later I shot a doe. I had a good pass through but almost no blood. There was some blood and feces on the arrow itself. Long story short another hunter found her 2 days later. Now when I shot she was quartering towards me ever so slightly, no more than other deer I have harvested cleanly. I skinned her out and after a little nausea,( I live in georgia, it was early Oct. about 85 degrees during the day, very smelly) I found that I had barely nicked the rear portion of her shoulder. Apparently this was enough to send the arrow through the gut. I've never had this happen with the muzzy. Right now I am 50/50 on the rage. Maybe she moved at the last second, maybe the nick on her shoulder was an old injury and I just made a bad shot. I'm not sure one way or the other. I've lost deer before but usually I knew something was wrong the second I hit the release. Hopefully I will have more chances this season to make up my mind.
reflex

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting