2 or 3 Blade Rage?

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Re: 2 or 3 Blade Rage?

Postby Double B on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 pm

My Wife and Son just bought me the 2-blade for fathers day. (easy shopping off my wish list :D )

Can't say how well they work but they will be in the woods with me this year.
I think any mechanical will work well with proper shot placement.

I still have my NAP spitfires that I have taken deer with, these will be my back-up for a coyote if one comes in range.

Good luck with your choice.
Double B
Cheektowaga, NY

Mathews DXT
Rage 2-blade
Lonewolf treestand
HSS safety vest harness
Tru-ball release
Gold tips
Rutwear clothing
Double B

Postby tuthdoc on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:14 pm

ANY sharp broadhead will work with proper shot placement. It's when the shot placement isn't prefect, or ideal, that I depend on a big cut mech to work. I'd much rather have a Rage or Hammerhead go through a liver or get one lung than a normal size head. I'm not perfect and until I am, I'll send the biggest cut I can push through both sides on trauma missions.
tuthdoc

Postby Indy-Travis on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 am

I tried a pack of the post-recall three blades last year, and shot two deer with them. One opened and performed flawlessly, one did not open at all on a 1/4 away shot. It was a slight angle and a double lung hit. The head didn't open, and there was little blood trail. I heard the deer go down, and was able to find her. I have one left and may give it a try this fall but my confidence in them is low, I however have never heard a failure story about the 2 blades, and several about the 3s.
Indy-Travis

Postby Andrew99 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Indy-Travis wrote:One opened and performed flawlessly, one did not open at all on a 1/4 away shot.

Thanks. I had not thought about issues with the heads not opening. I was thinking more along the lines of blades breaking or the heads opening while in flight.

I've watched a few more of the Drury videos lately and it seems that by far the majority of these folks are using the 2-blade. Wasn't sure why but makes me wonder if it might be related to experiences similar to yours.
Andrew99

Postby Indy-Travis on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:06 pm

The head that did work passed through and hit a rock, and didn't break, so durrability isn't bad. There is some razor-edge exposed, so when the one didn't open, it still cut like a very small broadhead. The deer was down with in 150 yards or so, just not much blood to trail. On the one that did open, it only ran a short ways, and I could see the blood trail from the tree.
Indy-Travis

Postby djmbow on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 am

tuthdoc wrote:FYI, I'm shooting 58 lbs, 29.5 inch draw, shooting 370 grain arrows at 290 fps out of an 05 Allegiance. The only thing that stops the things are opposite shoulders. My first axis had the arrow blow through him, hit the ground (it's rocky in the Texas hill country), shoot into the air about 20 feet and come to rest about 15 yards behind the deer. When watching my video, I could see the arrow's exit path) My second axis and my brother's axis had the head imbedded so far into the oppostie shoulder that we couldn't get the head out until we quartered him and cut it out. One was the 2 blade in the axis in my pic and the other was the 3 blade in my brothers deer. Penetration for most modern compounds at reasonable poundage is worried about way too much for deer sized game.

They could probably make a 125 grain head, but I doubt it would see as well and I don't think 25 grains makes that big a difference on a head. Why slow one down without a decernable benefit.

Only problem I have with the heads is carrying them. Poking them into foam will open them. Those with a bow quiver and two contact points for an arrow probably won't have a problem. With one contact point and the head in foam, you're going to eventually pull out an open head. If you don't notice it, it could be a problem.

Holy Smokes tuthdoc, at first I couldn't believe you were getting 290 FPS out of a 59 lb. bow with a 370 gr. arrow, but the calculations seem to check out pretty close:

I think IBO on the Allegiance is 319-327 FPS and if you make the following adjustments for draw length, draw weight and arrow weight, and also deduct a couple of FPS for a peep and D loop, the "calculated speed" comes out right on the money!

Draw Length = .5 " below IBO ------------- -.5 x 10 fps = - 5.0 fps

Draw Weight = -11lbs. below IBO --------- -11 x 2.5 fps = - 27.5 fps

Arrow Weight = + 20 grs. above IBO ----- 20/5 x -1 fps = - 4.0 fps
..................................................................._________

............................................................Total = -36.5 fps

Calculated speed = 327 fps - 36.5 fps = 291.5 fps

That's great man, you have a pretty efficient bow there.

And like they alway's say ....................SPEED ( and K.E.) KILLS. :D
"Ive always been crazy, but it's helped me from going insane."
djmbow

Postby djmbow on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 am

Here's the entrance hole made by a 2 blade Rage on an 8 point (168 lbs.) buck my buddy shot last week.

Can't ask for more out of a broadhead can you?

Deer was double-lunged and went about 30 yards before piling up deader than a stone.

"Ive always been crazy, but it's helped me from going insane."
djmbow

Postby TannerDean22 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:29 am

well i would go with 3 blade to tell you the truth i'm a 14 year old kid i draw back 60 pounds and i have a 27' draw length and i shoot the Rage 3 blade and so does my couson both the deer we shot bled like crazy it looked like a paint truck poured red paint in our woods. But my dad shoots the 2 blade and i mean they put big holes in the deer but he barely got any penetration and we found it after 200 yds. With the 3 blade i blew right through it at 12 yards with no problem so i don't think penetration is a factor with the 3 blade.
TannerDean22

Previous

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting