Arrow Rest - I give up!

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Arrow Rest - I give up!

Postby Andrew99 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm shooting a 27.5" draw, Hoyt Vetrix. On this bow I've tried 3 different fall-away rests, the Muzzy Zero Effect, Fuse fall away, and now a Tropy Taker Shakey Hunter. I've adjusted the timing of the rests, the nock point vs. the arrow rest height, fletch oreintation. Basically everything I can think of.

Still I continue to have issues with the fletching contact. I don't consider myself an expert by any means but I've shot a fall-away on one of my other bows with no problems. My other bow has a 1" longer draw length and I couldn't help but wonder if the shorter draw length on my Vetrix may be causing the problem?

Does anyone have any ideas on other fall away rests I could try that might work? Perhaps the TR DropZone?

If not I will go back to the biscuit or perhaps the new Octane Hostage rest (anyone tried one of these?)

Thanks.
Andrew99

Re: Arrow Rest - I give up!

Postby bear402 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Of Course I can't guarantee that you would have absolute fletching clearance with the TR Drop Zone , but it is the one that I have had the best luck with. I went through a couple of the Muzzy Zero Effect rests and the Trophy Takers and they were very finicky on my Hoyt bows . The only way I could get clearance with the Trophy Takers were to shoot with the cock vane up and even then it was marginal.

I also had problems with the Nap drop aways working well with my bows. I really don't care for any dropaway design that has the prongs or arrow support strike the arrow shelf when it drops.

With the Drop zone , I have found set up and tuning very easy and fletching clearance is no longer a problem. The DZ is quiet and has worked flawlessly for me for a number of years. I currently have 4 of them on different bows including 3 Hoyts and a Bowtech Allegiance.

I doubt that the shorter draw length is having an affect on the drop away operation , however I would be sure to check the timing on your Vectrix Cams . If they are out of time, the nock travel possibly could be unlevel and might be traveling downward , thereby driving the fletch end down into the rest upon the shot. You might check that before you give up on the rests that you have.
bear402

Postby Jerod B. on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:53 pm

cam sync needs to be checked and the rest needs to start falling as you slowly let down at full draw fairly early

you don't want it dropping with just the slightest letoff, but it needs to get going down in the first inch or two

we set up mostly trophy takers and qad's at the shop.....all good..

we did set up G5's little dude made from the DMI Expert today, very nice and microadjustable...and quiet....
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby Andrew99 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

As far as the timing of the rest, I have it set to where it reaches full height at 1.75" before reaching full draw. So I think I'm pretty close from that respect.

According to the Hoyt spec. timing can be checked by looking at the position of the cam timing marks without drawing the bow. The position of the timing marks is within the spec.

Is there something else I should be looking at to check the timing other than just the position of the timing marks?
Andrew99

Postby bear402 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:07 pm

You should be checking the timing at the end of the draw cycle . Both cables should hit their respective stops in the cam tracks at the same time . If one cable hits it's stop before the other, then the cams are out of synch and the appropriate cable adjustments should be made.

I've had the timing marks on the Hoyt cam 1/2 style cams look good at brace, but at the end of the draw cycle the cams were out of synch.

You can have an assistant watch the cables to see if they hit at the same time or use a mirror and watch them your self. Just don't accidently shoot the bathroom wall when your checking it . :shock:
bear402

Postby Jerod B. on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Andrew99 wrote:As far as the timing of the rest, I have it set to where it reaches full height at 1.75" before reaching full draw. So I think I'm pretty close from that respect.

According to the Hoyt spec. timing can be checked by looking at the position of the cam timing marks without drawing the bow. The position of the timing marks is within the spec.

Is there something else I should be looking at to check the timing other than just the position of the timing marks?

1. you really need to see how quick that rest is dropping, just checking when it reaches full height is not enough

2. the cam timing marks are just reference marks to show the cams are in TIME, NOT SYNC....when the cams are within those marks you within the spec efficiency range for those cams.....

some bows we have set up are shooting 300fps and above...we ALWAYS check cam sync at full draw and always see how quickly that rest starts to drop......after we tie the chord in the cable, we check again, then burn the end and shoot thru paper...
Jerod B.

Postby Andrew99 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks guys. I will check the cam SYNC this evening. If I do find that it is out of SYNC I probably be looking for some advice on how to make the cable adjustments so I can correct it.

As far as the time of the rest goes, when I set it up it apppeared to me that the rest began to drop at the same point in which it came to full height (about 1.75"). I checked it by using an arrow and making marks on the arrow at full draw and then again at the point where the rest came to full height (had some help from the wife on this). Then I would let down and compare the marks.
Andrew99

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:45 pm

cam sync is pretty straight forward

when you twist a cable to the right(on most strings) it makes it shorter and the draw length longer

so if your top cam stop is hitting the cable before the bottom cam stop, you need a twist or 2 or 3(depending on severity) in the control cable(non-split) so that it pulls that cam back causing more rotation before it hits the cable, and more in sync with the bottom cam

if the bottom is ahead you can put twists in the split cable or just take a twist or two out the control cable....I ALWAYS do my top cam(non-split cable) twisting off the top cam post, not the bottom....

just don't take too much twist out of a string.....
Jerod B.

Postby chuckler on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Get an Octane Hostage and forget about it.
chuckler

Postby Andrew99 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Chuckler - are you shooting the Hostage rest? If so any specific comments about it?
Andrew99

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting