blazer vanes 101 level questions

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

blazer vanes 101 level questions

Postby marcj33 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Hey there. whats the general consensus on blazer vanes? the last word i got was blazer vanes...nuf said..which seems to be the rule not just the opinion. Ill most likely be shooting fixed blade broad heads. any thing i need ot know when I buy my arrows? the shafts will most likely be the new CX hunters.
do the vanes get any helical? rest issues to be spoken of? tuning quirks?

thanks in advance.

oh yea, while i got you any feed back on the rage expandible

thanks

M
"...It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
Teddy Roosevelt 1899
marcj33

Re: blazer vanes 101 level questions

Postby Jerod B. on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 am

I wil be using blazers on my carbon express hunter as well. I fletched up one arrow so far. On my bitz I move the vane up to the fourth mark on the clamp(right helical) and give the clamp all the offset I can get without putting some of the vane off the shaft.

I have shot blazers in the past and really liked them

I much rather fletch them due to the short length and the flat base. 99% of what we fletch at the bow shop are blazers. Lots of people like them, especially through the biscuit.

Many like the Rage as well, only complaint is the impact sometimes will break the set screw and render the broadhead useless after one shot through an animal. Since it cuts such a HUGE hole, and has already done its job, most don't worry about it
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby GregE on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:26 am

I tested them extensively when they first came out- just sure these little things could not handle BHs and hunting. wrong.

I've got four dozen arrows fletched with Blazers. ( No mechs for me)

Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby marcj33 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:14 pm

thank ya, thank ya very much......

greg just to be sure i understand you, you were concerned about the blazers handling hunting and BHs but you dont have any concerns anymore? correct?
"...It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
Teddy Roosevelt 1899
marcj33

Postby GregE on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 pm

".....just sure these little things could not handle BHs and hunting. wrong."
Wish I could get the full report from the old Eders site- Lots of skepticisim lost during those days of testing.

I wouldn't still be hunting with them if they didn't do the job. :)
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby seamus on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm

I've used Blazers for 3 years now and love them. The only complaint I've heard about them is some people have trouble getting them to stick well. I use a crest wrap so I don't have that problem.
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Postby madrat on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:00 pm

I use Blazers and Rage 2 blade. Awesome combination.
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby Andrew99 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33 pm

I've been using them for 2 yrs. or so and really like their durability. No problems what so ever getting them to stick on a wrap or bare shaft. If you fletch them yourself note Bohning's instructions are to not clean the base of the vane. This may have been the cause of the problem you mentioned.

Just to tag an addtional question to your post...JB you mentioned moving the blazers up/forward on the shaft. Is there a reason for this? On the most recent ones I flecthed, I actually moved them down to the 1st notch on my jig (I did this to try and address the clearance problems I was having with my fall-away rests). It looks kind of funny but I haven't noticed any arrow flight issues.
Andrew99

Postby Death From Above on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:23 am

Something no one to my knowledge has addressed concerning blazer vanes. Every new gizmo and change in archery seems to comes with a trade off. Run your hand down the shaft (easy guys) of an arrow with blazers, note how difficult it is to have the vanes past through the palm of your hand due to the stiffness of the bazer. It's this stiffness that gives it the ability to steer. Blazers have a more difficult time passing through an animal then the more traditional vanes and obviously feathers. Another issue is that if you have contact with your riser and or rest, that could be a bear to tune, simply put their not as forgiving as older style vanes. I have shot blazers this year and killed javalena, caribou, hogs and 4 whitetail, 2 being pope and young animals, oh yeah and a dumb pheasant. I have seen my arrow hanging out the exit side of two deer, being held by those blazers, not a big deal as the business end of the arrow has done it's work already. Very fast good vane, also very stiff with some issues......... DFA
Death From Above

Postby tuthdoc on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:41 am

I've shot them since they first came out and can't see myself using anything else. I said the same thing about Flex Fletch 360's, so you never know, but Blazers with their shortness and ability to handle broadheads are a great vane. I shot them on a Superstar hunter and clearance became a nonissue. I shoot a dropaway and that's not a biggy anymore, but it still makes rest contact on the dropaway less of a possibility.

As far as the Rage heads go, in my limited experience, they are fantastic heads. They cut HUGE holes. The holes are actually bigger than the measured head diameter. I killed two axis and a couple hogs this summer with them and was really impressed. My little brother started using them last deer season. Both the 2 blade and 3 blade. He killed at least 5 deer, including a 150+ 12 pt with the 3 blades and I don't know how many hogs with the 2 blade. He killed 8 hogs with one head before it bent so badly it wouldn't close.

I treat all mechs as one time heads. If I have one that's still shootable, I usually demote it to practice. If it's in pretty good shape, I will kill hogs with it. They are vermin where I hunt and we kill all we can. Both the RAge head hogs were with a head that I had killed an axis with during the hunt. The only heads that have stayed in deer are the ones that hit opposite shoulders, so I haven't experienced the Blazers keeping a head in the animal. I have sunk a couple to the fletching in really big hogs, but regular sized hogs and deer are close to 100% blow throughs.
tuthdoc

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting