Yoke Tuning: Hoyt Vector Turbo, Matrix+

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Yoke Tuning: Hoyt Vector Turbo, Matrix+

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

the dreaded tear that wont go away.. BluePuss brought up the tuning of these later model Hoyts, and they can be a beast.. The Vector Turbo seems to be an extreme case, but after doing this procedure, this is the best bow I have ever owned.

On the VT, there appears to be no true static or eyeball adjustment for cam lean as every one of these bows appears to be different. i tried the following method and it is magical on both my VT and Matrix+. but you need a press to do it. it should work for most fixed yoke bows.

1) set ata and brace of bow (you need to move the suppressor for brace)
2) check timing and adjust cables to the top stop hits just a hair before the draw stop on the bottom. you will hve to go back and forth between cables and string on this to get it right

and now the fun begins
3) set rest at centershot, about 13/16 from inside of riser and shoot thru paper
4) adjust rest/loop up or down to get the tear in a horizontal line. ignore the size of the L/R tear until the nock height is right
5) if left tear, looks like this >---o... take a full twist out of right side yoke, put one in left. this will change the cam lean
6) if right tear, the opposite
7) shoot 3 times to settle the strands in the yoke. the third shot will tell you if you need to make more adjustments
8) repeat and as the tear gets close, concentrate on only one side of the yoke with 1/2 twists. you should be able to walk the tear to a bullet hole with the yoke
9) when done, start at 1 and double check the ata, brace, and timing. if you need to adjust, shoot thru paper again
10) walkback tune and make minuscule adjustments to rest if necessary

it really is simple and makes the fixed yoke an absolute godsend on these bows.
Go Bucks

Re: Yoke Tuning: Hoyt Vector Turbo, Matrix+

Postby bluecat on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Once you were getting bullet holes, can you confirm that there is no lean on your cams? In other words if you take an arrow shaft and place it on the cam does it follow the string in parallel?

I'll stop there for now.
There's no place like home, there's no place like home.
www.kansasbowslings.com
bluecat

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 pm

bluecat wrote:Once you were getting bullet holes, can you confirm that there is no lean on your cams? In other words if you take an arrow shaft and place it on the cam does it follow the string in parallel?

I'll stop there for now.

thats where the confusion lies and why so many people curse at these things. there will be cam lean, may vary from bow to bow, and it is irrelevant. the only thing that matters is how the arrow leaves the bow. also, the placement of the rest affects cam lean as well. the closer the rest is to the riser, the more the top cam leans left
Last edited by Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bucks

Postby bluecat on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Okay, I'm listening.

How do you determine if a left-right tear is coming from rest alignment or cam lean or both.

I'm going to answer this and you can grade me...

Adjust rest until no improvement is made then start on the cams? Did I win, Did I win?
www.kansasbowslings.com
bluecat

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm

bluecat wrote:Okay, I'm listening.

How do you determine if a left-right tear is coming from rest alignment or cam lean or both.

I'm going to answer this and you can grade me...

Adjust rest until no improvement is made then start on the cams? Did I win, Did I win?

set the rest at 13/16 and do not touch. use yoke to bring the tear to center. as the tear gets closer to center, use 1/2 twist on one side only. only worry about rest during a long range walk back tune, and even then, the increment is 1/32 at most.
Go Bucks

Postby bluecat on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Okay, I'm going to do this this weekend, so if sumpin blows, I'm calling you up.

One more thing, and I might be wrong about this but, if you have cam lean your A to A is not going to be the same from one side of the bow to the other.

If that is a correct statement, which side do you use as the "to spec" side?
www.kansasbowslings.com
bluecat

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06 pm

bluecat wrote:Okay, I'm going to do this this weekend, so if sumpin blows, I'm calling you up.

One more thing, and I might be wrong about this but, if you have cam lean your A to A is not going to be the same from one side of the bow to the other.

If that is a correct statement, which side do you use as the "to spec" side?

good point. i find most of the tuning is done with the right yoke, so i set the ata measurement with the left. keep in mind, if you have to twist the yoke a bunch, it will affect the draw stop timing, so watch that as you go... if you have to make adjustments for timing, do it at the other end of the yoke cable. I have a rubberized eyehook in a rafter in the basement ceiling to check the timing. hook it around the string at the dloop, not through the dloop - if the loop breaks, you have a dryfire.
Go Bucks

Postby bluecat on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info.

I am curious where you got the 13/16ths measurement. Is that something you found to be true or did you read that somewhere?

My Ultratec has no lean so I'm wondering if the addition of the new roller guards started this. They say short A to A bows are chronic but my vector is 35".
www.kansasbowslings.com
bluecat

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm

bluecat wrote:Thanks for the info.

I am curious where you got the 13/16ths measurement. Is that something you found to be true or did you read that somewhere?

My Ultratec has no lean so I'm wondering if the addition of the new roller guards started this. They say short A to A bows are chronic but my vector is 35".

thats my guess. mathews has a noticable idler lean and they have used rollers for a long time.
Go Bucks

Postby String Twister on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 am

Like go bucks said they will have cam lean, if you set them without any they won't tune right. And yes the shorter the ata the worse they are, they also change from static to full draw and this is where all the tuning issues come from.
www.ProString.com
String Twister

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting