Squeeky Cam???

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Squeeky Cam???

Postby bakerb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 am

The top cam on my Hoyt Trykon is squeeking and creaking when I draw. This is the sound that almost lost me my opportunity at my 11 pt. this year.

What do I lube the cam with? Vegetable oil? Anything with petroleum in it kind of scares me

Bake
bakerb

Re: Squeeky Cam???

Postby Jerod B. on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:58 am

we use lith grease on the limb pockets, we've had a few hoyts do that....actually more of a creaking noise

we do use some lubbricating oil on the cam axle sometimes

but most times it comes from the limb pockets, or the cable slide, little sandpaper on the cable rod solves that

NO Water Displacement 40th try

We had a V-Tec...we had to tear that sucker apart, pull the limbs out, lith grease the whole pocket, lubricate the axle, and sand down the cable rod before that sucker got quiet...it had a real bad creak to it...we even loosened the rocker screws to no avail.
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby bear402 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:08 am

Bake ,

It's most likely not the cam that is squeaking and creaking. It is generally the plastic cable hangers that the yoke harness attaches to that cause the problem.

I don't reccommend using Veggy Oil as it will collect dirt and eventually stink. We use "Tri-flow "at the shop here for axle lubrication. It is a penetrating Teflon based lubricant. There's a slight odor after application , but it will dissipate quickly . You can usually find it at your local hardware store.

Lubricate the axles with a shot under the E clips and another between the limbs and the plastic cable hangers on each side and the noise should disappear.

The Tri -Flow won't harm the synthetics that the harness is made of, so no worry there .
bear402

Postby fletchead on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Bake. Its a Hoyt. Its gonna squeak. Blow up. Put youre eye out. Maybe both. Gonna bust a limb. Or two. Maybe four counting youre own. Thats why they come with a parts manual. So you can search youre yard and find them all. Youve got something to go by.

"Hey heres a piece. Naaah, never mind its just petrified dog doo.Whops, my bad that does fit. Goes right here.Says so in the manual. Petrified dog doo. Part 10 b. That other pile of doo must be parts 11 a, b,c, and d. "

Best thing to do. Put it down gently. Back away. Get the little kids out of the neighborhood, cause that babys gonna flame out. Once again its a HOYT. These things happen. With Hoyts.Why you think they called them Hoyts. Whoever shoots ones gonna get seriously Hoyt.

Just funning you Bake. Hope the above normal suggestions work.
fletchead

Postby madrat on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:39 pm

That's the Fletchead I remember :lol:
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby bakerb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:20 pm

LMAO!!!!

THanks for the tips guys. Will get some stuff tomorrow and try to get her working again. GOtta get ready for elk season

Set up my target in my basement and am going to shoot everyday until September

Getting ready for this elk adventure may just do a great dang job of preparing me for all bow hunting this fall. Should shoot everyday and work out all the time

Bake
bakerb

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:51 am

Bake, "Tri Flow" is what I use also great stuff. I had a customers bow several years ago that wouldn't stop making noise..I finally pulled it apart and the top cam had a blown bushing...just a little something to keep in mind.
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting