effective range

A place for traditional archers talk.

effective range

Postby Dave Eder on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I've been playing around with a recurve for ten years, but last year ws the first year i really tried to hunt with one...prblem is, my effective range is no more than 15 yards and didn't end up getting any chances last year.

If you shoot a recurve, what is your effective range?..and how long have you been shooting traditional?
Dave Eder
Dave Eder
Site Admin

Re: effective range

Postby Coodster on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 am

David, with your hunting grounds (I imagine) is pretty dense cover so 15-20yds should be good.

My personal effective range on a calm mulie deer is 30 yards, but i also keep that as my max range for elk size game also, even tho that size game has a larger kill zone, its just my personal set limit for myself.
I also shoot year round, indoor for spots during winter and when the snow stops falling I will venture out to the outdoor range and shoot out to 50-60 yards during practice rounds also, more often during spring summer and fall, so a 30 yard shot isn't a long poke. That said my longest shot on an animal with my recurve was 25 yards.

as far as not getting a shot well it will happen just be paitent took me 5 years to get my first animal with my compound and 3 with my recurve, I enjoy the the hunt more when I set out with my recurve, yeah its a harder hunt and my odds are alot slimer to take an animal but its something in me that comes alive when I stalk up to my game with recurve in hand.
the bad thing is when I get to within range of a nice big 3 or 4 point and can't get any closer than 35-40 yards and can't take a shot, But is a very doable shot with my compound. but its also a part of the romance of the style being a better hunter and beating them at their game in their living room.
Just keep practicing and shoot as much as possible, keep one thing in mind quality practice not Quanity. the first shot is your moneymaker.
been shooting this style for 8 years.

Good luck this season.

Postby GregE on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 am

Good write up Chadly. 8-)

Part of the mistique of the bow is the self imposed handicap we accept when we choose to hunt with it. Modern bows with the emphasis on speed have less of that but staying within our effective range is essential no matter what type of bow is attached to the string we pull.
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:07 am

David, I Haven't shot recurve in many years..but when I did, 15 yds was my max effective range
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!

Postby yakbow on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

when i hunted with my recurves 25 to 30 yards where doable for me. i shot a lot ! mikey

Postby longbowdude on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:34 pm

i have been shooting traditional bows for the last 10 yrs. lost interest with compounds. my effective range is 25 yds but feel much better at 15-20 yds.
you are a traditional bowhunter when your mindset is to see how close you can get to your prey before shooting rather than how far away can i still hit it

Return to Stick and String