Recurve or Longbow??

A place for traditional archers talk.

Recurve or Longbow??

Postby Nacho_sabi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

I would like to know your opinion.
I use to shoot a compound bow, but anyway I would love to learn to shoot a traditional.
I would like to know your opinion and get your advice.
What kind of traditional I should acquire?
A recurve?? a longbow? and just in case, which is the key reason to acquire one or another?
I guess it will depend on the kind of animals I use to hunt in Spain...basically, hogs and mountain goats.... sometimes, rabbits! by now, I am not going to hunt elephants...
Thanks for your advice!!
good hunting!!
Nacho
Nacho_sabi

Re: Recurve or Longbow??

Postby Coodster on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 am

Noone? ok I'll take a stab at it

Nacho, wich do you like the best? if you can handle a few of each and shoot that would tell you alot, also your price range wil also affect the choice, in GENERAL longbows are less forgiving (lower brace) not cut past center or cut to center (weaker arrow to tune) and more handshock on the release of the arrow, slower.
Recurves are in GENERAL higher brace, not as quiet as a longbow but can be tuned and silenced to longbow quiet, they are normaly cut to center or a bit past center. not as much hand shock per say, faster.
Thats in general, and my findings on my feel. that said, a custom recurve or longbow will be very close in all aspects, tune quietness, speed and shock on the release, it will come down to what you like and feels good to you, and pocket book.$$
I like both, a longbow has a romance to them, but I shoot my recurves beter.
if you are able to shoot a few and get a good feel for what you like, keep draw weight down, for starting out 35-40# will be a good place to start then when you get your form you can work up in weight. I started out with a 55# bow and still shoot that weight for hunting but for all day shooting I go with 45#.
Again if you are able to shoot a few and diffrent poundage that will tell you alot. try shooting them all day (don't buy) then go home, and see how you feel, your body will tell you if they are to heavy.
You may be a huge guy 6'10" 290# and strong as an ox, so 50-60# may be light weight to you. if your not able to go to a shop and shoot some, ask around somone you know may have one or two, local clubs will normally have a few shooters that shoot recurves or longbows. most important have fun shooting these bows are a blast.
Coodster

Postby Nacho_sabi on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Thank you, Coodster... good advice...
I use to shoot with my Hoyt Alpha Max 32, tuned at 65-66 lbs. I feel fine shooting that weight, but of course... it is a compound bow. I am just introducing myself in traditionals... Under the esthetic point of view, I love longbows and recurve monoblocks, but If I get to shoot a traditional, I am sure I will go out trying to hunt with it! so long sticks can become an issue when you are up in the mountains... some colleagues told me that longbows and monoblock recurves are not a good choice due to the size. It seems that it is not comfortable to wear it when you are walking in a forest plenty of trees, branches and so on... To shoot it from a treestand must be pretty complicated!
You are right... I thought it when I read your message. First, I will not buy until I had check some of them... My budget is about 350 - 400 € (more or less about 510 - 620 $) I have already tried a 40 lbs. Bear Takedown Supreme, a 45 lbs. Hoyt Dorado.... I will shoot a bunch of arrows with every one and let's see if my "muscles do not claim" too much!
Something that I did not know is the fact that longbows have a "sweeter" realease... but I must try some longbow in order to check if I am able to improve my accuracy compared with the shots I am getting with these recurves I have mentioned.
Thank you for your help!

Nacho

Nacho
Nacho_sabi

Postby loosenock on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:21 am

Nacho, I shoot longbows exclusively. The rafters in my garage are full of traditional bows, but I love the longbows. But thinking that you would like to try a longbow is painting a picture with a very very broad brush. Your first decision is a very important one. What kind of longbow do you want to try. You have the English longbow, English warbow,
american longbow which is along the lines of the English bows but with flater limbs, modern longbows with deflex/reflex limb design, two piece longbows, three piece longbows and there are some perhaps I forget to mention. Once you deside on a longbow what kind of grip do you want to start with? straight grip, dished grip or locater grip?

The choice I made was for american style longbow, the style of Howard Hill with a straight grip. I have never looked back, and enjoy using and shooting the Hill bows every single day.

My suggestion would be before you invest in a longbow do some researching on the internet, libraries and magazines and see what you want to start your developement in.

Start with a weight (around 40#'s). Don't over bow yourself. You will have to learn form and style with either the recurve or the longbow. I found it easier with a bow I could comfortably shoot over and over again without straining.

Good luck on your quest.

Loosenock
loosenock

Postby Nacho_sabi on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Thank you Loosenock!!
Interesting point of view... I was not aware that there are available such a list of different types of longbow... I don't know why, the only longbows I have seen are Bob Lee, Bear and Martin. Here in Europe there is a French guy who is famous as longbow manufacturer!. it seems that he is really good, but of course, too much expensive. You can see his work at the following link:

http://www.philbows.com/

One of the things that worry me is the fact that I heard that longbows (in general) due to his long size produce a lot of vibration which is transmitted straight on to the wrist of the archer. Is it true?

But you are absolutely right... I need to see and try a lot of them before taking a decision.

Nacho
Nacho_sabi

Postby loosenock on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Nacho,

Mr. Baumann certainly makes avery attractive bow. The style of bows he makes I would classify as modern deflex/reflex longbows. His handles are almost clones of the recurve bow.

Here is a picture of the grip on my Howard Hill "Redman" bow.

I wanted to point out how straight the grip is. It is nearly an ovalized cylinder. The top of the bow is to the right of the picture. Note also the wear patern on the grip. You can see where the big fleshy part of my left thumb seats along the back side of the grip (top of picture). You can also see how by left thumb lays along the top and right side of the grip. After wrapping around the front of the grip you can see where the fingers of my left hand find their place (up from the bottom of the picture) on the grip also. You grip a long bow differently than any other style of bow. You shoot with a low grip, the heel of your hand along the back of the grip. Where as on other bows you shoot with a high grip and the web between your thumb and finger sets deeply into the throat of the grip.

I have never felt any severe hand shock when I grip my bow correctly and shoot an arrow that weighs about 9 or 10 grains per pound of draw weight of the bow. If you shoot a 60 pound longbow you shoot an arrow weighin about 540 -600 grains of weight.

If you shoot a 340 grain carbon arrow out of a longbow drawing 60-70 pounds you might pop the fillings out of your teeth.

Try visiting:

http://www.howardhillarchery.com
http://www.selfbow.com
http://www.howardhillshooters.com (people like me who love HIll bows and not connected with Howard Hill Archery). A great place to visit and see many Hill bows with stories.

Craig Ekins of Howard Hill Archery sell "you finish" bows at a huge savings. You could buy one their quality bows for as little as USD $325.00.

Nacho, good luck. Dont be overwhelmed. You should give it a try.

Loosenock
loosenock

Postby Nacho_sabi on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Thanks again, Loosenock
these bows are beautiful... and must be effective... I have looking up the site... I think the prices are not exagerated... Specially, one of the longbows I have seen has caught my attention... the takedown model... I have requested a PDF catalog.
What do you think? will it be as solid as a "one piece"?
Thank you

Nacho
Nacho_sabi

Postby loosenock on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:12 pm

I am glad you looked the sites up Nacho. You can get some very good information on longbows.

Here is my take on the takedown. Normally the bottom limb fits into the top limb. You could get one that fits very tight. So tight the suction in the fitting makes it almost impossible to separate the bow again. I have seen two grown men pulling on a bow before it can be separated. A little looseness is good. But, with a loose fit, after your bow is assembled and strung, you could feel a slight "pop" in the grip. This is a slight anoyance to some. It does not effect the performance of the longbow at all. If you get a joint that is loose, tight or just right is luck of the draw. I think the chance of you getting one "just right" is in your favor though.

I thought I had to have a takedown bow one time. I bought the bow and assembled it. I shot it for several years, The only time I ever broke it down was when I sold it. Then I broke it down to mail it to its new owner. I think the only time it would really pay off is when you would travel by plane to go hunting. But if people fly with skis, you can certainly fly with a longbow.

Loosenock
loosenock

Postby Nacho_sabi on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Loosenock,
I have been trying a takedown longbow (50 lbs.)... you are right, it produces a nasty sound when the string is released... May be it does not affect the shooting but anyway it is not pleasant... this longbow is one of those made by Mr. Bauman. Yesterday I was trying another one, a Great Plains one of my colleagues. I liked it very much... noisless... gentle. I have been trying to find a dealer of Mountain Hill Archery, but... no way to find it here in Spain... I would like to try one, but it seems that the only chance to do it is acquiring one!

Nacho
Nacho_sabi

Postby loosenock on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Nacho the Great Plains is a very nice, quaity longbow. I use to own one. Herb Meland of Pronghorn bows makes some very nice bows. The problem is the price is a premium.

If you have been shooting compound and recurves the Howard Hill bows will take some getting use to for sure. What I love about Howard Hill longbows is after they are tuned, and your comfortable shooting it with matched wood arrows, THEYJUST HIT!!! It is too bad you can't find one to shoot in Spain. I think the cheapest longbow you could get into right now would be a bow blank from Howard HIll for $325 USD. You would have to file in the arrow rest, sand the bow down and apply the finish. But I understand, it is hard to buy something without feeling one.

The Great Plains or Melands Pronghorn bows, either would be an excellent choice. I have owned both and the pronghorn is the better of the two.

Loosenock
loosenock

Next

Return to Stick and String