Paper tuning new bow

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Paper tuning new bow

Postby 307hunter on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:38 am

I recently bought a new X-Force Dream Season and am having a hard time paper tuning it. To get a half decent tear through paper I have to have the rest into the riser so the fleching barely clears it. It is a long way from center. I have heard to tune it until the tear is perfect but it seems strange to have the arrow so far into the riser. Is something wrong with the bow? My last bow shot bullet holes so I don't think it is my form. I can shoot a good group if it isn't tuned perfect but my broadheads don't shoot the same holes. Any ideas would be great thanks.
307hunter

Re: Paper tuning new bow

Postby Jerod B. on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:42 am

1. are the cams in sync??

2. what is the poundage and draw length??

3. arrow spine??

4. high or low at all??

we got an x-force GX dream season at the shop, no matter what the shop tech did, it would not stop tearing left....in his 30 years he NEVER found a bow that would not tune up with a drop away....tried every arrow he could, adjusted cams, nock height.....etc, etc,..........
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby bear402 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am

In addition to J.B's questions to consider, one thing to check is the top yoke cable alignment.

Place an arrow on a flat portion of your upper cam with the main portion of the shaft running parallel with the string.

The string should run a fairly equal distance in parallel with the entire length of the shaft .

If it does not then a yoke adjustment will probably be neccessary.

In my experience on a bows that tune with the shaft in close to the riser , a few twists to the outboard yoke cable can often help eliminate a left tear. After this adjustment a bullet hole through paper can usually be achieved with the arrow more towards center shot on the riser.
bear402

Postby Jerod B. on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:24 pm

bear402 wrote:In addition to J.B's questions to consider, one thing to check is the top yoke cable alignment.

Place an arrow on a flat portion of your upper cam with the main portion of the shaft running parallel with the string.

The string should run a fairly equal distance in parallel with the entire length of the shaft .

If it does not then a yoke adjustment will probably be neccessary.

In my experience on a bows that tune with the shaft in close to the riser , a few twists to the outboard yoke cable can often help eliminate a left tear. After this adjustment a bullet hole through paper can usually be achieved with the arrow more towards center shot on the riser.

Bear touched on the first thing we do...adjust yoke(if static).....slipped my feeble brain :)
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm sure your form is fine, but just for GP have another good shooter shoot your new bow and see what type tear he gets..sometimes it's just simple hand torque..be sure you're not gripping the bow too tight.
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting