Angle compensation range finders.....

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Angle compensation range finders.....

Postby fireman on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 pm

I've griped about this before and it is time to do it again. Page 81 of the new Redhead spring hunting catalog has an example illustrated on how the technology works.

It shows a bowhunter in a tree aiming at a buck that is 32 yards line of sight and 23 yards true distance from the tree. It also shows that the shot angle is 44 degrees.

Makes sense.......until you do the math. With those numbers.....the archer would be in a stand 66' above the ground.

Drop that stand down to 21' and the line of sight distance is now 24 yards....only 1 yard difference. The farther out the target is....the closer the line of sight and true distances come together.
Why shoot on the last day what you didn't want to shoot on the first?
fireman

Re: Angle compensation range finders.....

Postby Jason on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm with you 100% Scott. Those numbers you quoted from RedHead are definitely way out of whack.

I assume the actual rangefinder does work properly though. These are the cases I'd figure they may be worth while......1) if you're over 25 feet high....I never am. 2) if you're in steep terrain so a deer on the downhill side of you may be 15 or 20 lower than the bottom of the tree you're in.....I try to avoid this situation.

In all other cases this is the way I look at it. If I'm going to trust an angle compensation range finder, I'm going to have to do a lot of practicing with it to make sure I'm confident and don't second guess it. I can alternatively use that practice time (which I'm already pretty comfortable with) to learn how to aim in all of my usual setups I hunt. I agree that in all but the most extreme cases, with the speeds of bows now, being off by a couple yards makes very little difference.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby Jerod B. on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 am

120ft up a cliff...range a deer at 50 yards, aim for 30....I hunt at 17 ft or less. no need for me :D
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby brianerixon on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:06 am

I hunt from 15' or less
Brian E.

PSE Stinger
Vapour Trail String
Whisker Biscuit
Cobra Sight
Beman ICS Hunter w Blazers
Truball Release
brianerixon

Postby Coodster on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:29 am

I hunt with my feet firmly on the gound. I do have one and was playing with it during elk season and most situations didn't justify the angle comp. Yes there is terain that will but not this last season, my deer areas isn't needed flat flat flat. :mrgreen:
Coodster

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 am

12 foot tripod in Texas...no rangefinder needed!! :D :D ;)
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby EHS on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 am

Up here in the "hills" makes for some interesting shot angles. If you are hunting 30 ft. up (which I do) and are sitting on a 50% slope (which there often is) the arrow's trajectory is down right hard to figure. Would this gizmo explode in my hands trying to figure out angle compensation? :) I've shot over, under so many deer thru the years trying to figure those shots out. Can you imagine being 30 ft up and looking a deer right in the eyeballs? :D
EHS

Postby bear402 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:59 pm

EHS wrote:Up here in the "hills" makes for some interesting shot angles. If you are hunting 30 ft. up (which I do) and are sitting on a 50% slope (which there often is) the arrow's trajectory is down right hard to figure. Would this gizmo explode in my hands trying to figure out angle compensation? :) I've shot over, under so many deer thru the years trying to figure those shots out. Can you imagine being 30 ft up and looking a deer right in the eyeballs? :D

They do work !

The declination technology will take the guess work out of those over / under shots and make you deadly accurate !

I've been using one for the last couple of years and swear by it ! 8-)

I'm currently using the Bushnell Legend 1200 with ARC.
bear402

Postby fireman on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

They do work.......but not necessary for archery IMO
Why shoot on the last day what you didn't want to shoot on the first?
fireman

Postby bear402 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm

fireman wrote:They do work.......but not necessary for archery IMO

A Compound bow is not neccessary for archery either, IMO !

But , modern technology does make a bowhunter more lethal IMO ! ;)

At longer ranges the uphill downhill angles can be tough to figure even with tons of practice . I have been working on it for years shooting 3d and hunting . I am actually pretty good at it, but if a can have a little extra help when executing a pressure hunting shot by using an angle compesation range finder , I'll take it. 8-)
bear402

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting