Climbing tree stands

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Climbing tree stands

Postby Keef on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 pm

A couple of years ago I bought a top of the line climber. I never have used it partly due to fear of falling. At my age I don't know if I'm too old to learn something new. How hard are they to get used to?

Any problems I should be aware of? Of course, I'll use a safety rope if I get my nerve up. Last year I could have killed a nice buck in Nebraska if I could have moved my stand but the guide didn't want to change it. With a climber I could have moved and shot the biggest deer I've ever seen. He came through the area three times, same place and always out of range. He was shot in rifle season.
Keef

Re: Climbing tree stands

Postby Jerod B. on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 am

I felt safer in a climber than anything else....

Loved my summit......nothing really to it...I would just stay away from models that have no top rail to rest on

the farther you get from the tree with your weight, the tighter it holds to the tree.....

just need to judge the diameter of the tree....the smaller it gets as you go up, the more your platforms need to be tilted up somewhat so they level out when you get up there....

you can measure out a rope at the height you want to get or have practiced from, tie it to the bow, when it gets tight, you are there :mrgreen:
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby alsbows on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:36 am

Keef,

i've been on the Summit Tree Stand Pro Staff for nearly 10 years so naturally I may be a little biased. Summit makes 2 stands that I would recommend. The first is the Viper and the other the Goliath. Both feature a bar around the top piece and it doesn't get in the way when shooting - provided you're not sitting down.

The climber comes with a 4 point harness and climbing with it is incredibly easy. While working outdoor shows I put a seventy-four year old lady up a tree without a problem. On another occasion I was talking to as guy in his late sixties who said his knees were so bad he could never get up a tree. In a few minutes I had him fifteen feet in the air and he teared-up he was so happy.

So don't let you age scare you Keef. I'm 66 and still climb with no problem. It's dragging deer out of the woods that's killing me!

Al
alsbows

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 am

JB and Al are right on the money...I LOVE my Summitt and I've NEVER felt so safe and secure in any stand but this one...find someone who has one and take it for a "Test ride".....JMHO
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby InDaWoods on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:41 am

The only problems I have with my climbing treestand is finding a tree soemtimes straight enough to actually climb! I love it. As in your Nebraska case, it would be a nice "option" to have in the truck should the same situation arise.
InDaWoods

Postby Double B on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Keef,

They are not hard to get used to at all. I hate heights, have a cape cod house and hate to use the ladder to clean the gutters.
But I have no problem climbing 20ft up in a tree with my harness and get dressed on that platform. Sounds crazy I know.
Give it a try, strap in and only go 4-6 feet of the ground and see how you like it. Good Luck!
Double B
Cheektowaga, NY

Mathews DXT
Rage 2-blade
Lonewolf treestand
HSS safety vest harness
Tru-ball release
Gold tips
Rutwear clothing
Double B

Postby Newarcher on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Summit Goliath is all you need to know.

One trick I do is to take some skateboard tape and put it on the angled foot platform arms. The reason being is that here in GA many of the trees I hunt have a strong taper so you have to get that foot platform at a decent angle which means that when you climb in you have to stand on those arms. Having the tape there prevents wet boots from slipping and also making squeaking noises. With the Summit you have a good bit of adjustability in the angle of the platform.

I have never fell, never slipped, never felt uncomfortable in my Summit.

Use the included seat of the pants harness. It has the round rope that easily rolls over rough bark and you will find your climbing style to be like an inchwom. The prusic knot is outstandingly quick--if I had to use a seatbelt type harness with the buckle, I probably wouldn't. This system is quick and easy.

I am very scared of heights (falling really) so it is very easy. Never slacken the harness unless you are standing on the foot platform and leaning your rump downward on the stand's seat platform. That way you have multiple points of redundancy and have much less chance of losing balance and falling while adjusting the harness. Once the harness is moved up or down (depending on whether you're going up or down) then you move the platforms like an inchworm. Those teeth really bite into the tree well.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby Keef on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm anxious to try it. I have a utility pole near my barn which should be good practice. I'll let you know how it goes. Or my wife will let you know how long I'll be in the hospital. :lol:
Keef

Postby Newarcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:00 pm

No no no, you don't want to climb a utility pole.....read the instructions on the stand, says it right there! :D

I find that pine trees work best but that you have to be more careful on hard barked trees or trees.

New
You probably heard I ain't in the letting deer walk business....I'm in the button buck killing business and cousin, business is a boomin.
Newarcher

Postby Keef on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks New, I would have made a big mistake.

Tax season is nearly over - yeah.
Keef

Next

Return to Bowhunting