string,rest, and sight alignment??

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

string,rest, and sight alignment??

Postby robert on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 pm

hey guys..i have a mathews reezen 6.5 ..sight is hha optimizer light ultra series...and the rest is a qad drop away...for some stupid reason the string,rest and sight pin do not line up..the bow shoots dead on at all yardage, but the pin is left.. it just annoys me to see them not lined up perfectly...anyone else have this issue?...thanks for any info..robert..
robert

Re: string,rest, and sight alignment??

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 am

Welcome Robert!!!!! Have fun and post often!!

I'm not sure if I understand the question :? if you are hitting dead on at all yardages than the bow is center shot ok..if you see the sight pin slightly left (R/H shooter) of the arrow this is normal..as long as the arrows hit in a straight line at all yardages you are OK....if it ain't broke..don't fix it ;)
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby robert on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 am

thanks for the welcome..and the reply....the bow shoots perfect..and i now i should leave well enough alone...picture this....if i hold the bow straight out in front of me in the shooting position,and i line the string up with the center of the rest with an arrow nocked ,it is perfect...heres the part that i dont get....the sight pin should also be in line with the string and the rest...mine is not....i understand that it can be off a bit here or there,but mine has to sit way left...about 3/8 of an inch..to shoot bulls..it just bother me to see it this way...and i am curious as to why it is like this....i see that you are in new york..me too...robert
robert

Postby Coodster on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 pm

I think what you are seeing is your anchor, if your eye was in the center of your head they would all line up, but I hope its not :mrgreen: serriously tho if you pull the string to the side of your face your pins are left to compensate for the string on the side of your face, string to tip of nose will bring your pins in some but will still be offset, depending on your bone structure in your face will depend on how much off set.
But like WiDoe said aint broke don't fix it

Welcome to the best hunting campfire on line that is, the real life best campfire is in my elk camp during elk season ;)
Coodster

Postby robert on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 pm

thanks for the input...im still in the dark...the reason being is my brother in law has the same reezen 6.5 and his sight pin is dead with string and rest...i setup both bows myself...i also have a diamond liberty that i setup myself,and everything lines up on that as well....i was on the mathews forum and someone else had the same issue...however the bow shoots perfect...but i would still like to figure this out....any other ideas?..robert
robert

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am

Robert, I know exactly what you mean..my bow is the exact same way and nearly every bow I've worked on the sight pin is ALWAYS slightly left of center when sighting down shaft (R/H shooter) .....as long as the arrows hit center of target at all ranges..don't worry. I don't know if string oscillation causes this sight picture correction..but my bow is tuned at all times and the pin is ALWAYS slightly l/of arrow shaft at arms length.
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:56 am

Robert, I found this..maybe it will help.....

Aligning the string with the limb bolts, is best done when the bow is standing up in front of you and you want to find out if the limbs are in line. The string should, when viewed from the right position, appear down the centre of both limbs.If the limb bolts show, the string will appear down the centre of those, too.
If the sight is fitted when you do this visual check on the bow, you can note where it appears compared to the string line at the same time.For many RH archers the sight ring/dot is just left of the string line. The arrow point, or part of it, is usually just left of the string line, too.
At full draw, if the string lines up to the right of the sight, as it was when you looked earlier, then the bow is facing straight ahead, compared to the line you are looking along.That saves having to look up at the limb bolt then back down to the sight when you are wanting to shoot an arrow.
At full draw, the string may not line up as mentioned.If you turn your head further round than most, the eye gets further left of the string and the string can appear over to the right of the riser, in some cases.
You can get a similar string picture when you draw the string,if you pull it over to the right side of your jaw.
For a Right Hander to see the string on the left of the sight, it could mean, the head is turned not so far round,and the string is contacting the left side of the jaw and left of the eye. Or it could be the head is turned as far as most , but the archer has deliberately/accidentally drawn the string very close to their bow shoulder; further left than most.
Drawing the string till the arms are well aligned, should make the draw more consistent.Turning the head can then be done so as to be comfortable and allow the string to contact in a repeatable manner.
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby robert on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:02 am

thanks for all the help ...you are aware that my issue is when the bow is not drawn...im just double checking so that i can put this to rest...this is just simply holding or hanging the bow in front of you and closing one eye and sighting down the string to pin...or pin to string if looked at from the front...i appreciate all of your effort in helping me clear this up...the beginning of the article you sent just about cleared it up...just double checking...robert
robert

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 am

Not drawn..correct. That's how I did an initial eye check for center shot when a customer brought me a bow..I'd rest the lower cam on my left leg and held the bow at it's grip and then pushed it away at arms length. Then looking down the string dissecting the riser with the string look along the center of an arrow dissecting the arrow as well so all were in line, the rest included. The sight pin was always slightly left of everything. I can't tell you the technical reason cause I don't know..all I can tell you that every bow that left my shop was finely tuned and would shoot "Bullet Holes" at 6 feet thru paper..some people don't think is a true test of tuning..but i showed me the arrow was leaving the bow perfectly. Good luck and don't worry about tiny issues like this..if your bow is shooting well from all distances....YOU WIN!!!! Now go put a sharp stick thru a big bucks boiler room!!! Did you sign up for our annual deer contest?????
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby robert on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25 pm

deer contest?..no...im new to the board so i did not know...what type of contest?...biggest buck...rack,body or both?....where is it held?..i got my eye on a few good ones as of 2 weeks ago...have my trail cams out since august 1st...just worried about our poaching situation..very bad in my area...it wasnt too bad last season,but it is a serious problem...let me know about this contest...and thanks again for the info ..much appreciated...i know that i am not alone.. ;) ...robert
robert

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting