Thinking of going Trad

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Thinking of going Trad

Postby bakerb on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I think I've convinced myself. I want to give it a try. I'm really thinking that in the next week or so, I'm going to order a Takedown recurve

I told a buddy, it's gotten to where I hate to kill anything unless I'm going to have it mounted. I try to shoot does just to help with the overall population in some small way, but I pass up a lot of does for one excuse or another. I think going traditional might put the fun back in doe killing

I'm really excited about it. Any trad experts out there with any tips?

Bake
bakerb

Re: Thinking of going Trad

Postby Coodster on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:44 am

Bake, be carefull the recurve and longbows are addicting to say the least, you will love them or hate them. If fun is what you are looking for you found it.. they are that
First thing first, keep the weight low 35-40# get good form down first, build on it then work up in wt. saying that I would recomend a 3 piece takedown, so the limbs can be swaped out for higher pounds later for hunting.
Now that brings me to something thats not trad but verry sensible in the long run. take a look at the target risers that are accept ILF limbs (international limb fitting) system, these risers are shiny and not specific to hunting but they offer you to change the limbs from one maker to another from custom limbs to overseas, u.s. to top of the line limbs, not only that but you can adjust the weight by 10% on most risers so bout 5# adjustability, that is huge in a recurve or longbow.
I am sure you have been looking at bowyers and the bows you like, now look at the 3 piece bows and see what the price for the limbs are, not uncommon to spend 400-600 for a spare set of limbs.

Arrows, just like compounds recurves and longbows need a proper tuned/spine arrow, carbons are great they are more durable than aluminum and wood, spine tho is key, take a 1" off a 500 spine or 600 spine arrow and they could tune way stiff, a 50# bow drawn to your draw should shoot a 500 spine arrow really well depending on point wt. to shoot a 400 spine arrow you should be pulling 58# or more depending on point wt.

Now this brings me to another point if you shoot off the shelf, is the riser cut to center or past center, past center is going to tune alot easier or more forgiving on the spine of your arrow.

Just a few things that came to mind, feel free to ask away or pm me.

Cost is also a big deciding factor on buying recurves and longbows just like compounds :roll:

Go to tradtalk and start reading, lots of open good people and alot of them are world champion shooters and bowyers who frequent the forum, the class of people on that forum is alot like the class of people that post here at eders top notch people.

Hope this helps

Chad
Coodster

Postby Jerod B. on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 am

that's funny, I'm going rifle...ditched all my archery stuff. I figured out my success rate, and if I take that to west Texas on the open plains with stalking and all I'll do good to get an animal every 15-25 years...no thanks...

I'm going to reload and have Hill Country rifles make sure each gun I take home is fit to do what it needs to do...

Good luck and have fun....JB
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 am

JB..you serious??? :? :? giving up archery?? :cry: :cry: You have a WEALTH of knowledge and expertise to share with all here!! If you want to use a gun..fine..but..don't up the bow!!! I'm crushed!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Postby Jerod B. on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 am

don't be crushed, if I have the time I'm going to shoot indoor :)

I'm actually off to the bow shop right now to cover for the shop tech....
Jerod B.

Postby GregE on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Bake- I believe they make ILF hunting risers too. I've read the limbs are much cheaper due to the standardized mounting system so Coods idea of starting lower and building up is a good one. REalize right off you won't be able to pull nearly what you are with a compound. ( you will be able to pull it- just not shoot it with consistancy)

JB- not too fast there------ I remember when you sold off all your archery stuff before.... :shock:
Keep 'em Straight!! and quiet

Greg
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Postby Jerod B. on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 pm

There was NO backup plan Greg

Bake, go Black Widow all the way :D
Jerod B.

Postby Coodster on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Bake, before you go and spend alot of cash on a bow may i suggest the hoyt excel and some samick pivilide carbon maple limbs, should be able to get the limbs and riser for 350. Of corse you can't buy the samick limbs from hoyt but it will get you in a decent shooter that will accept ILF limbs, there is cheaper bow and limb combos out there but if it doesn't work out for you, you will be able to sell quickly.

after a while it seems like a route you want to take, take a look at morrison archery, A&H ACS is another, Habu bows is another, these are some higher priced bows, but if your looking for some that arn't in that range, 3 Rivers Dalaa is a good one to look at, Also Dryad bows is another that will be moderatly priced but not moderate in the performance.
Morrison, Dalaa, Sky archery, Dryad all make a riser that is ILF limb compatable.

Later down the road you will have diffrent limbs at diffrent lingth at diffrent poundage, for instance I have 8 diffrent limb sets that I can interchange with 6 diffrent risers to make a bow from 68" to 53" depending on the riser and limbs I choose. Two more sets of ILF longbow limbs on the way. OH yeah with ILF limbs you are not stuck with just a recurve, they make ILF longbow limbs also :mrgreen:
Coodster

Postby Coodster on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Oh and the limbs I have are made by Hoyt, Samick, WinWin, Tradtech, Sky, Dryad ACS.
These limbs will interchange with all my risers, Hoyt, PSE, Bernadini, Morrison, Dalaa and Nilo. you cant go wrong with ILF limbs...

Kinda like putting Hoyt limbs on a Mathews riser and using bowtechs cams :twisted: . But with ILF limbs and risers you can do that and it works and works well..

Now non ILF bows its all up to you, I would opt for a cheaper setup look into Chekmate bows they did well for me when I tried them, will not break the bank and do pretty well with the wait time, fit and finish is great.

martin bows will always have a special place in my heart even tho I havn't shot one since I was 17..

Bear bows the few I have shot had alot of hand shock??? could have been the arrows or the tune, wasn't my bows but didn't like them for me.

Habu... oooh they are pure works of art and speed deamons to boot, Chris Cox is a master of making his bows but a 2 year wait and 1600 price turns most people away. look for used to get a deal, wish I never sold my deathadder.

Now lets talk black widows, I have one and the quality is great the fit for me is so so, doesn't feel like its a part of me,, it takes a few days for it to settle in, I was really worked up on getting the PL longbow and was quickly dissapointed after a few shots, it is one of the slowest bows I have, and thats with an arrow that is 8 grains per pound, get the arrow up to 11.5-12 grains per pound and the bow seems to liven up and likes heavy arrows, but not feasable for my area of hunting and a 25-30 yard shot is a close shot.

Oh almost forgot about the hoyt gamemaster, Thats another bow I sold and wished I didn't, people say they are loud but all it takes is some tinkering and a few pointers and you will have a dead silent hunting bow, the limbs hoyt sends with the gamemaster is their lowest line of limbs they do the job but no means are they smooth or fast by a long shot, a good thing is you can swap them out with better limbs all you need to do is press the fittings out, but thats another post. if you are looking at buying one hoyt limbs run high on their poundage, mine was marked 55# at 28" and was actually 58# at 27.5", so depending on your draw expect 3-5 # higher than marked weight. so if you want a 50# bow order a 45 and I'll bet you will be right at 49-51# if your draw is 28"

Just a few of my thoughts hope this helps
Coodster

Postby Coodster on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

wow I kinda took over your post sorry..

Hey Nutter if you go gun by the time you get back I might have caught up to your post count :mrgreen:
Coodster

Next

Return to Bowhunting