2 or 3 Blade Rage?

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

2 or 3 Blade Rage?

Postby Andrew99 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Planning to try out the Rage heads this year and not sure if I should get the 2 or 3 blade heads?

I'm shooting a Hoyt Vetrix at 27.5" draw, 64# with a CE Maxima 350. Not sure about the speed or KE. For the past 4-5 years I've shot the 1 1/4" cut NAP Scropions (different bow but similar set-up and poundage) and they have performed well for me. Hunting for whitetails only.

I like the 3-blade because it seems to have more cutting surface. In the tests on their website it appears to have about the same penetration as the 2-blade. However the blades are slightly thinner (probably not an issue with the small deer I hunt :D )

Any experience or recommendation on the 2 vs. 3 blade?
Andrew99

Re: 2 or 3 Blade Rage?

Postby madrat on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:08 am

They had issues with the 3 blade last year so I'm still a little leary of them. I shot the 2 blade with good success last year. I didn't get great penatration and I have about the same draw length and poundage as you so I'd also be worried about penatration with a 3 blade.

It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby 5shot on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:13 pm

http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html
I prefer the 2 blade personaly. If you follow my link you will find my review of them.
5shot

Postby tuthdoc on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Here's a pic of the hole the 2 blade made in my second axis. My brother's axis was taken with the 3 blade, and while I didn't get pics of the entrance, you could almost put your fist into the hole. Personally, I think they're both super heads. My little brother killed all his hogs last year with the 2 blade and all his deer, including a 151 toad, with the 3 blade. The total slice of the 2 blade is 2 inches. The total slice of the 3 is 2 1/4 inches. Not a lot of difference, so it'll depend if you want a linear cut or one on two planes. They both slice bigger than their listed diameter.

DSC01033.JPG
2 blade Rage entrance
DSC01033.JPG (147.75 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
tuthdoc

Postby Andrew99 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for the replys. My hesitency on the 2-blade has always been concern that the linear cut of a 2-blade head could be an issue on a marginal hit. Based on the the pics above and hearing the recommendations though I see no reason to doubt their effectiveness given good shot palcement.

In fact if my wallet can stand it, I might buy a pack of each and hope for the opportunity to try both out this year.

Thanks again for you input.
Andrew99

Postby madrat on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 pm

If you want proof, just watch the Drury bros videos!!! Every deer that runs away has blood pumping out everywhere. It was enough to convince me to try them. My only worry now is penatration. I'm going to get new strings, get my bow tuned and crank it up a few lbs and I think that will be enough to ease my mind.

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby Jerod B. on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:12 am

I wish they would make a 125 grain.....beef it up some with some steel ;)
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby tuthdoc on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 am

FYI, I'm shooting 58 lbs, 29.5 inch draw, shooting 370 grain arrows at 290 fps out of an 05 Allegiance. The only thing that stops the things are opposite shoulders. My first axis had the arrow blow through him, hit the ground (it's rocky in the Texas hill country), shoot into the air about 20 feet and come to rest about 15 yards behind the deer. When watching my video, I could see the arrow's exit path) My second axis and my brother's axis had the head imbedded so far into the oppostie shoulder that we couldn't get the head out until we quartered him and cut it out. One was the 2 blade in the axis in my pic and the other was the 3 blade in my brothers deer. Penetration for most modern compounds at reasonable poundage is worried about way too much for deer sized game.

They could probably make a 125 grain head, but I doubt it would see as well and I don't think 25 grains makes that big a difference on a head. Why slow one down without a decernable benefit.

Only problem I have with the heads is carrying them. Poking them into foam will open them. Those with a bow quiver and two contact points for an arrow probably won't have a problem. With one contact point and the head in foam, you're going to eventually pull out an open head. If you don't notice it, it could be a problem.
tuthdoc

Postby Andrew99 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:44 pm

madrat wrote:If you want proof, just watch the Drury bros videos!!!

I watched the new Jay Gregory video and Drury Whitetail Madness 11 over the past couple of days. No doubt a "rage in cage" does the trick. It appeared to me that most of the folks on the videos shot the 2-blade. Appeared to be about 50% or so pass-throughs. A few that did not pass through were buried in the off shoulder.

Any idea what the problem was with the 3-blade Rage?
Andrew99

Postby madrat on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:02 am

If I remember correctly there was a problem with them opening. They recalled those and fixed the issue. I still have a little doubt though so I'll wait and see how everybody says they perform this year.

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
2 blade Rage
madrat

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting