Tinks Mr. October Decoy Review

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

Tinks Mr. October Decoy Review

Postby seamus on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:59 am

I decided I want to give hunting over a decoy a try this year. I decided to try a Mr. October inflatable decoy. So I picked one up this weekend and was surprisingly impressed with what I got so I decided to do a little review for you.

The decoy is inflatable so you can roll it up and put it in your pack and not have to lug a big full body decoy into your stand. I usually have to walk in at least a 1/2 mile so this is a plus. It comes with detachable antlers, ground stakes and some Tinks buck lure and two scent wicks.

Inflating is surprisingly easy. Each leg inflates separately. and then the main body inflates. One breath is all it takes to get a leg inflated. The valves are the one way bite valves so the air doesnt escape as you're sealing it up.

I was really impressed with the photo realistic fabric "skin" and the detail.

2 detachable antlers are included, they are about the size that an 18 month old buck would sport.

The tail is a 2 layer lightweight fabric that moves with the slightest breeze. My ceiling fan was making it twitch.

Each foot has grommets to stake the deer down. You have to make sure each leg is fully inflated and rigid to ensure he stands straight and tall.

Another thing I like about this decoy is that once staked down the breezes tend to make the whole deer move a little adding to the realism. If you desire you can take off the antlers and not inflate the legs and you've got a bedded doe decoy.
I was impressed with this decoy for the cost...less than $90.
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Re: Tinks Mr. October Decoy Review

Postby InDaWoods on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 am

Good luck with it, and some pictures of it outside in the wild from one of your hunts later this year would be awesome!
InDaWoods

Postby madrat on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:32 pm

That looks pretty impressive and real! Do you think a 15-20 mph wind would blow it over? How durable is the material?
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Postby seamus on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:19 pm

The rubber is very durable it seems. The skin is a fabric that is covering the rubber. You unzip the covering on the belly to access the valves. As far as a stiff wind goes, I think it would stand up better than a regular decoy since it's staked down. How many hunting shows have I seen where the decoys blow over in the wind. You could even get some more heavy duty stakes to ensure it stays put.
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct"-Aldo Leopold
seamus

Postby critrgitr jr on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

do they have them at local hunting stores or did you order it online? I like the portability of it. I've always wanted to try using a decoy but never did because they were too much of a pain in the butt to carry in the woods with you along with all the other equipment, but this would work. I assume it is pretty light weight? how puncture proof is it?
"It's hard to soar with eagles when your working with turkeys"
critrgitr jr

Postby critrgitr jr on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:38 pm

just checked Cabelas and Bass Pro. They are $80 at both places. only weight 3 pounds. sounds good to me. I think I will order one. thanks for the info seamus. I'm excited to use this in the field this year.
"It's hard to soar with eagles when your working with turkeys"
critrgitr jr

Postby Jason on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:32 pm

I like how you have the option of removing the antlers for a doe or removing the legs for a bedded animal. Although it may be a little tricky to stake it down to the ground without the legs.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby Blackdog27 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Depending on how and when it is inflated, I think there may be the chance that with it being out in cold air that it would deflate somewhat. I am not sure to what extent it might sag ....
I use H&M Bowstrings
Blackdog27

Postby Keef on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:21 pm

BPS has a doe and buck combo for about $99. Check their flyer.
Keef

Postby madrat on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:41 am

David has them on Eders for $55.86. I haven't checked the shipping price, but I'll let you know as soon as I place my order.
http://www.eders.com/products/tinks-mr- ... -3lbs.html
It can all change in a matter of seconds!!!

Mathews Drenalin
Extreme RT 900 sight
Easton Axis arrows w/ Blazers
2 blade Rage
madrat

Next

Return to Bowhunting