light and small dameter arrows

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

light and small dameter arrows

Postby Coodster on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

In the never ending search for a light, durable, small diameter, afordable arrow has anyone had any luck?
I tried the victory armor piercing arrows and I wasn't pleased to say the least.
Like the looks of the new easton but with a funky thread and only certain broadheads to use I don't like.
Coodster

Re: light and small dameter arrows

Postby Jerod B. on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 am

small and light ain't the best due to more weight needed to actual hold a spine when you get small, I wouldn't trust them

I definitely am not into the injexions you are talking about.....
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby Keef on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

Coodster, I used the VAPs this past year and really liked them with field points or broadheads, they flew great. Durability was good. I shot through a deer and the arrow was fine. I truly liked them. What didn't you like?

That being said I am getting a half dozen of the new Easton shafts to field test. Along with them I get a half dozen of the new NAP KillZone broadheads. I'll let you know what I think of them later this year.
Keef

Postby Coodster on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 am

yeah Keef I remember you and I was basically trying them out at the same time. I just took a hiatus lol..

Ok my first issues was the insert would pull out, after contacting them they sent new inserts that had tighter tollerances and the inserts didn't pull out in a block target..
I took them to our field range and shot them in our carpet butts and the inserts didn't pull out of the shaft. What I did find tho is the inserts would bend easily, shooting sideways into a carbet butt they would bend, miss the target at 80yards with my recurve and the insert was bent, I had 4 dozen of the VAP arrows, I returned the 3 dozen and inserts that I didn't cut.
I let my son shoot the 500 spine VAP out of his recurve he shoots them well, he did miss the target the arrow skidded across the concrete floor, I checked the arrow to make sure no damage, splinters or cracks, lo and behold the insert was bent? out of a 20# recurve. Never did have any issues with the shafts I think they are durable, the insert on the other hand is weak.

Nut, its not going to be a light finished arrow ;) just a light shaft with a heavy broadhead = 450 gr arrow or there bouts.. I will keep looking but think I will stick to my axis shafts may try the maxima KV?? but will see later about them..

Thanks for you responses Nutter and Keef
Coodster

Postby Keef on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:23 am

Coodster, good points. I too had one bend and couldn't understand what happened. I think you're right, the material is weak. I have written an email to Victory about our experience, I'll let you know what they say.

You can't go wrong with CE maximas they are great arrows.

I use Goat Tuff to attach the outserts. It's the rubberized glue. I also use GT for fletching but it's a different glue.
Keef

Postby Keef on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 am

I sent an email this morning and within an hour got a response. They have come out with a stainless steel insert to solve the problem. It weighs 92 grains. They are sending me replacements at no cost. I'll have to see how that affects my arrow flight. Kudos to them for such quick customer service.
Keef

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting