What Hunting Video Camera is BEST????

This is our main discussion forum...post anything that relates to bowhunting or archery.

What Hunting Video Camera is BEST????

Postby WI-DOE-MAKER on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 am

Guys, Keef is looking for a New Camera to film his hunts...do any of you have one and what are the Pros and Cons...THANKS Wi-Doe
Life is all about ASS, you're
either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it,
tryin to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one!!
WI-DOE-MAKER

Re: What Hunting Video Camera is BEST????

Postby Go Bucks on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am

WI-DOE-MAKER wrote:Guys, Keef is looking for a New Camera to film his hunts...do any of you have one and what are the Pros and Cons...THANKS Wi-Doe

oooh.. great question!
Go Bucks

Postby Swamp Fox on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 am

Well, unfortunately they all cost more than the GoPro...

If Jon would get on here he could tell you how he likes the camera he bought, which I don't remember model info for. However, I do remember it as being a very nice camera. There are a couple of cameras that I like which are a notch below the professional-grade floor, but they're still a chunk of change. I haven't taken the plunge and probably won't unless I get my own cameraman, LOL. I would be happy to link to one or two things if there's some interest. Sony and Canon are the guys to look at, as far as I can tell from being on the fringes.

A couple of the small HD hand-held cam corders could work in a pinch for certain types of shots, especially from a blind or a mount, but focus and zoom capabilities will always be lacking compared to more serious cameras. Look to the higher end of the price range, though from a little research earlier in the year it doesn't appear you have to go to the extreme far end for something that will be decent for wildlife videoing.

Sony also makes a kick-ass DSLR camera with a state-of-the-art auto focus in video mode, which could do in a pinch, especially if you want still photography in your quiver. Canon is also highly capable in this area, although the AF is not as handy or reliable, according to the camera geeks. The gap is closing, though.

And that's about all I know...

Ventilator's brain is the one to pick on this one...
Swamp Fox

Postby ventilator on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Currently im using a Sony Z5U with a MRC1K memory recording unit attached. This gives me the capability of recording to tape and Compact Flash card at the same time. This setup retails for around 5000, but , could probably be purchase for slightly less if you did your homework. The brother to this camera is the NX5U. It records to SD cards without adding anything additional. I will probably stick to tape backup for as long as i can on my hunting for tv stuff. My cameraman for Reel Shot uses a Sony PMW-EX1. This is couple steps up from the Z5U and is extremely nice. My camera for time lapse and B-roll is a Canon EOS T2i. Its shoots 1920X1080-30P HD video. I actually used this camera for Swampys kill shot on his Rio in Cali this spring. The bird came in from the right and i couldnt get an angle on it with the main camera. The T2i can be purchased for 600 bucks with a decent lens. Its invaluable to me for Time lapse shooting. The video quality really is top notch and i use it with a motion slider to get some neat shots as well.

The camera Jon has is a Canon XHA1. I have used this camera quite a bit. It films HD to a tape but does not film in 24p or 30p "progressive" mode. This camera was used by the Drury team for tv several years. It is not considered one of the better tv quality cameras now, BUT, is still a nice camera that can be bought for 2000-2500 fairly easily. Maybe less for a quality used camera.

Another non tv option is the Canon XA10. It films HD in progressive or interlace mode and has many big camera features. The chip size is the only thing that keeps it from being broadcast quality. You would have a hard time telling the difference in the footage on a HD Tv in my opinion tho.

Hope this helps!
Kenny Hollingsworth
Reel Shot Tv
http://www.reelshotoutdoors.com
STROTHER MOXIE My bow shoots its self, I just go along to keep it from winning!
ventilator

Postby Swamp Fox on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

That's a good explanation...

Know how I can tell?

...'Cause even I understood it!

(Okay, most of it...)

LOL
Swamp Fox

Postby LCA on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I have been using a canon vixia for a couple seasons now... was just under $600 new NOT the highest end most expensive but it is easy to pack and takes good HD video.
Official camera man

www.ProString.com
LCA

Postby Swamp Fox on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Saw two clips the other day that were of interest to me..

One must have been a nock-mounted camera which got footage of flight, impact, and then the animal (a turkey in this case) running away and flopping. VERY cool footage from under the bird's legs.

Second was either an I-phone or a Bloggie or something like that mounted on a shotgun barrel with a Gorilla Pod. Unfortunately neither that camera nor the big camera got the kill shot, but the gun-mounted camera got great stalking footage.
Swamp Fox

Postby bluecat on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 am

ventilator wrote:Currently im using a Sony Z5U with a MRC1K memory recording unit attached. This gives me the capability of recording to tape and Compact Flash card at the same time. This setup retails for around 5000, but , could probably be purchase for slightly less if you did your homework. The brother to this camera is the NX5U. It records to SD cards without adding anything additional. I will probably stick to tape backup for as long as i can on my hunting for tv stuff. My cameraman for Reel Shot uses a Sony PMW-EX1. This is couple steps up from the Z5U and is extremely nice. My camera for time lapse and B-roll is a Canon EOS T2i. Its shoots 1920X1080-30P HD video. I actually used this camera for Swampys kill shot on his Rio in Cali this spring. The bird came in from the right and i couldnt get an angle on it with the main camera. The T2i can be purchased for 600 bucks with a decent lens. Its invaluable to me for Time lapse shooting. The video quality really is top notch and i use it with a motion slider to get some neat shots as well.

The camera Jon has is a Canon XHA1. I have used this camera quite a bit. It films HD to a tape but does not film in 24p or 30p "progressive" mode. This camera was used by the Drury team for tv several years. It is not considered one of the better tv quality cameras now, BUT, is still a nice camera that can be bought for 2000-2500 fairly easily. Maybe less for a quality used camera.

Another non tv option is the Canon XA10. It films HD in progressive or interlace mode and has many big camera features. The chip size is the only thing that keeps it from being broadcast quality. You would have a hard time telling the difference in the footage on a HD Tv in my opinion tho.

Hope this helps!

What is interlace mode and progressive mode? Type slow, I'm from Kansas.
There's no place like home, there's no place like home.
www.kansasbowslings.com
bluecat

Postby ventilator on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 pm

interlace or 1080i or 60i is the traditional form of HD footage. Progressive or 1080p or 24p or 30p is the "rock star" version. :mrgreen: This basically gives your shots a cinema or a film look. With the right settings its capture some amazing colors. After shooting in 30p or 30 frames per second progressive, i think interlace at 60 fps or 60i is much duller looking footage. One thing tho, usually progressive mode needs to be captured to a card type camera vs tape if you want to easily transfer it to a computer for editing.
Kenny Hollingsworth
Reel Shot Tv
http://www.reelshotoutdoors.com
STROTHER MOXIE My bow shoots its self, I just go along to keep it from winning!
ventilator

Postby Keef on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:10 am

How about the Canon Vixia HF G10, that's the one I have my eye on? Does it do broadcast quality?

I've never used SD cards for video work, is it simple to down load the camera hard drive and the SD cards?

How does the camera save the video, does it store data on the camera hard drive first until it's full and then go to the SD cards? Or can you just save everything to an SD card? I'm sure an owner's manual would answer these questions but I'm still trying to decide which one to buy.

Thanks for any help.
Keef

Next

Return to Bowhunting