Block type targets

Got questions about archery supplies, or want to write a review on some archery equipment...this is the place.

Block type targets

Postby Double B on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Which target do you use and recommend?
I have heard good things about the yellow jackets.
Your thoughts?
Double B
Cheektowaga, NY

Mathews DXT
Rage 2-blade
Lonewolf treestand
HSS safety vest harness
Tru-ball release
Gold tips
Rutwear clothing
Double B

Re: Block type targets

Postby joaxe on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Dub,

I picked up Morrell Yellow Jacket FP and BH targets. They're great! Just make sure not to do what I did this past weekend (mistakenly shot a NAP Thunderhead into the FP bag target...Duh-Oh?!?!?!). However, it wasn't too bad. The cool thing is that I can just buy a new bag cover if I need one.

A lot of "peeps" recommend Reinhart targets, as well. 8-)

Joe

Mathews Switchback XT 28" DL
MBG Radiant, Whisker Biscuit, String Splitter,
Arrow Web, S-Coil, Limbsavers, Torqueless Grip, Thunderheads and Blazers
Ambush TreeSaddle
joaxe

Postby Treeguy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:36 pm

I've got about four years on a"Block" target now. It is strictly for field tips though. I may not shoot as much as some, but it has been shot quite a bit. It's just now showing signs of being a little weak in the middle.

Last year I bought a Cabelas brand broadhead target. It was pretty cheap. Around 30 bucks I think. It has the layers with increasing density. It's holding up as well as a broadhead target can I guess.

I think the key is having two different targets. It's hard to have one that handles field tips and broadheads well.
I'm always in a hurry to sit and wait patiently.
Treeguy

Postby brucelanthier on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Rinehart 18:1 is great for fieldpoints and broadheads. I also use the Morrell Yellowjacket, Morrell Quickstop and the Morrell broadhead targets. If I could only have one target I would get the rinehart though, I have put hundreds and hundreds of shots into it, mostly broadheads. If all I used were fieldpoints on it, it would last for years.
brucelanthier

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:14 pm

I am still using a Morrell 6 sided target I got about 4 years ago. 2 sides for BH and 4 for FP. I shot out the Broadhead sides fairly quickly but for field points it is still holding out well. I bought the King Series broadhead target this year and have been pleased with it. Only complaint is the face is a little small.
To post a Picture: Load into photobucket.... copy and paste the entire URL from the IMG line in photobucket to the body of your post. Voila!
Jason

Postby Jerod B. on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 pm

that rinehart 18-1 is da bomb...that will be my next....I plan on getting two

another great target people don't realize is the full strutting gobbler....little pricey but it is so deep and has so many shooting spots it will last forever
Men don't grow up.....they just grow older.
Jerod B.

Postby Keef on Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 am

Any suggestions on broadhead deer targets? I want one for my wife, she likes to shoot at the full deer instead of a square target.
Keef

Postby NDTracer on Thu May 01, 2008 9:33 pm

I bought the Cabela's one but haven't shot at it yet so no report yet.

JB I think you need to change your avator to the dancing chicken. :mrgreen:
NDTracer

Postby Treeguy on Thu May 01, 2008 10:19 pm

When I put that as mine, I thought of JB.

I'm not sure what that means. :(
I'm always in a hurry to sit and wait patiently.
Treeguy

Postby wtpops on Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 am

brucelanthier wrote:Rinehart 18:1 is great for fieldpoints and broadheads. I also use the Morrell Yellowjacket, Morrell Quickstop and the Morrell broadhead targets. If I could only have one target I would get the rinehart though, I have put hundreds and hundreds of shots into it, mostly broadheads. If all I used were fieldpoints on it, it would last for years.

I tried the 18:1 and shot it into pieces in 6 months (no broadheads only field points) Now it is a great target but i shoot around 2000 to 3000 arrows a month and like most of the targets i use that is just a lot for a target to take no mater what kind it is.

So in my experance it is all relative to how much you shoot as to how well a tatget will perform.

I think the downfall to the 18:1 is that each of the 18 spots when shot at puts the arrow right through the center of the target so by the time i was half way through shooting out the spots the center was gone and the target just fell apart after that.

Note: im not putting the Rinehart down i like the target, its light, easy to transport and easy to pull arrows out of and i will more than likely buy one for a hunting camp target.
"Democracy is two wolfs and a lamb voting as to whats for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb protesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin
wtpops

Next

Return to Equipment, Tuning and Shooting